chapter 16

I tossed around and turned, trapped in my thoughts...

I couldn't stay on the bed any longer, I began to pace about while waiting mum's return

The images of a younger Mark along with that little girl and dad kept resurfacing in my head.

If Mark knew my Dad, then was I perhaps missing something?

I heard some noises in the living room and knew mum was back....

Only she could answer the questions burning through my mind...

I quickly made my way downstairs clasping the picture tightly as if it was some evidence of some sort....

"Hey sweetie" she greeted with a tired smile....

Without saying a word, I handed the picture over to her, she accepted it and I watched as the blood slowly drain out of her face...

"Mum, what's wrong?"

"Where did you get this!" She snapped her voice raised in anger....

It was really rare for mum to raise her voice and she looked quite pale now, it was surprising if not shocking to me.

"M...mum?" I called out unsurely

"I'm asking you Anna! Where did you find this!" She sounded even harsher this time...

"Mum, what's wrong with you? And why is dad with that boy in the picture?" I asked motioning to the photo in her hand

Her gaze looked distance for a moment before she snapped out of it.

"This isn't your dad, now stop with all this silly questions"

She was behaving weirdly, it was clearly dad in that picture....her reaction got me even more suspicious

"I just want to know how this photo came about mum, the boy in there is my classmate...the same one who brought me home the other day....Mark Andrew...so please give me an answer"

"There's nothing to discuss, let this matter end right here!"

A ripping sound filled the air, she tore at the picture until there was nothing left...

"No! Why did you do that?" I half yelled at the sight littered all over the floor

I was about to start picking at the torn scattered photo when she grip my arm firmly

"You want to know? Fine,,, I'll tell you!"

"You dad use to work for Mr. Andrew" her voice sounded bittered and distance....

Did dad work for Mark's father? This was a very deep realization I never knew

"But dad is a journalist right from when I was born right? You've told me that many times"

She looked as if she was taking aback by my question, her gaze suggested that she was keeping something from me

Me... Something important...

"Please tell me,, everything mum"

I need to know, I need to understand....

Perhaps this could relate to the reasons why Mark hate me so much....

There could be more to this....

"I've told you all that you need to know, you dad once worked at their company before he.... just forget about all this, why are you so adamant?"

Yes,, I would be adamant, she didn't know how he terrorize my life for nine years now...

She doesn't know of all the physical and emotional pain he'd caused me...