01 | New Year

JAN, 2017

JAN, 2017

It's a new school year. My last school year, of high school at least.

Standing in front of my mirror and looking at the reflection before me, I'm not impressed, but when am I ever. I've never been happy with my appearance. I'm the same old Leah that I have been my entire life and there was nothing special about me.

My ginger hair ran down in long waves along my back, my body clad in a pair of black ripped skinny jeans, a knitted cream sweater and a pair of black and white converses on my feet. I had minimal makeup on compared to the girls at school, I only fluffed my brows, added a bit of mascara and applied some rosy lip balm for a pop of colour.

I looked bland - average, boring - whatever you wanted to call it. There was no spark to me, no noticeable flair that made me seem worth a conversation to others. There was nothing that screamed 'I'm worth noticing' and I hated it. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Harry had left me behind all those years ago. I stayed right where I was all those years ago, whereas he flourished into the person he is today.

He's noticeable - he's special, and I'm just... not.

For the past few years since our friendship ended, miraculously, we had not shared a single class together. I don't know if it was the gods above working their magic to help us avoid one another, or if it was his parents doing by putting more money into the school in exchange for him having separate classes from me.

The idea sounded slightly absurd for sure, but it was plausible after witnessing the extent that he would go to ignore me.

Just because Harry and I never had another class together, didn't mean that I had none with any of the new friends that he made. In the 10th grade, I shared Sports and Physical Education with Louis and Niall. In the 11th grade, I had English Literacy with Liam, and ever since I started high school, I had shared Creative Art and Design with Zayn.

Not that I ever spoke to any of them much, only in group activities orchestrated by our teacher, but they all came across as nothing short of lovely. Cheeky, absolutely, but still decent guys - as decent as you can get for being teenage boys at least.

Let's just say that they looked like iridescent angels compared to some of the guys we went to school with, and that was saying a lot because they weren't exactly innocent or easy to deal with.

You can learn a lot from just being a peer in a class with them. Over the past few years, I felt like I had learnt so much about them from just sharing an hour a day in the same class. It was that, or from the gossip that always spread throughout the school as if it was wildfire.

There was Louis, a lanky sarcastic ball of energy. He was known around school for playing pranks on whoever he pleased and working his way through any girl that gave him attention. He was the kind of guy that wouldn't be caught dead having a girlfriend and was happy with that.