13 | The Date

MAR, 2017

MAR, 2017

Today was the day, it was finally here. My first date.

I was nervous to say the least. The week had flown by faster than I could have blinked and before I realised it, I was at home getting ready for my first ever date.

Joey had picked the restaurant out and I had never been there before which was surprising because it was only about a 10 minute drive away from where we lived. After our conversations about our favourite food, I had assumed that he would have chosen somewhere that might've preached Italian food, but instead he had chosen an old fashioned restaurant that was basically a remake of a diner from the 80's.

I had done my research once he told me the name of where we were going and I was pleasantly surprised by how laid back and quaint it seemed. I half expected to be taken somewhere that showed off his high status, but this was a complete surprise to me and I was extremely happy about it.

The attire was definitely more casual than it was fancy, and I was incredibly glad about that because I didn't own a single dress that would be classy enough if it were a fine dining establishment.

I didn't want to get my hopes up too high for this date because he kind of seemed too good to be true for my anxiety to settle down completely. He had been nothing but kind and consistent in his compliments towards me the entire time we've been talking, but the words from my friends kept circulating in my head at the same time. It made me wary to not trust everything so quickly, but at the same time, I had been feeling greater just talking to him than I had in my entire life so far, so I had hope that he truly was a good guy and that everything I had heard so far was nothing more than petty rumours.

He was picking me up in an hour and I was already so frazzled over what to wear and how to look. I didn't have the help of Grace and Jordy with me tonight, both of them wishing me luck and sending me helpful tips when I needed them, but they were both busy and couldn't help me get ready, which was more than fine because I was completely capable of getting myself ready for this date. I was just worried that I'd either overdo it or underdress, and I didn't want to look like a fool for my first date.

I had laid out some options on my bed and had been staring at them for the past 10 minutes now, not knowing which one I should choose. I had narrowed it down to two options, one was a pair of high-waisted jeans with a long sleeve top while the other was a short long-sleeve orange dress. I hadn't worn the dress before, in fact, I think it was gifted to me from Grace a while ago and had been sitting in the back of my closet ever since. It was more or less out of my comfort zone, but that was probably something that I should be leaning towards trying instead of clothes that I am clearly comfortable in.

This whole situation was still bizarre to me and didn't feel real as I pondered over my options for tonight. I looked at myself in the mirror to see my naturally wavy hair lying against my back, the most I did was curl a few extra pieces to give it a bit more volume and to eradicate the frizz that usually accompanied my ginger hair. I had put on some light makeup, no more than usual because I didn't want to overdo it and come off looking like a clown.