04 | Comfort Zones

FEB, 2017

FEB, 2017

Today was Thursday, which meant that Harry's birthday party was tomorrow.

After our interaction the other day, I went straight back to the girls who bombarded me with a bunch of questions as to what happened and what was said. I gave them a very brief rundown because I really wasn't in the mood to talk about him anymore, and they understood that entirely.

Jordy wanted to go and find him, to quote, 'kick some sense into him' for the way that he had approached the conversation. While I agreed, I knew that it would do more harm than good to let her find Harry and have her rage attack him.

Their reactions to being invited to the party though, well that was something that I definitely didn't expect.

They were quiet at first, clearly contemplating the pros and cons in their minds before they seemed to have a silent conversation with each other and asked me if it would really be so bad for us all to go.

I immediately said yes. It would be a terrible fucking idea to go.

He only invited me because he felt like he had to do something nice so that I would be more civil towards him for the sake of our assignment. He invited me and my friends not for an act of kindness, but to get something in return, and that didn't sit well with me at all. He wouldn't have invited any of us if it weren't for this stupid English assignment.

Not only that, but I didn't want to be at his party.

I didn't want to be there in his house that practically used to be my second home, and to then be there to celebrate him turning 18. I had more or less been a witness to his birthdays and random parties before. I'd hear the music thumping through the walls of my house as the crowd of rowdy teenagers yelled obscenities due to how intoxicated they were. Being present to all of that, didn't really seem like my idea of fun.

I had never even had a proper drink before.

I had never viewed myself as a goody two shoes that thought consuming alcohol or having sex was a sin before a certain age or marriage. I couldn't give less of a damn honestly, but the opportunities haven't exactly presented themselves to me, so that's why I had never done them before.

Okay, that was half of a lie.

Technically the girls and I had been invited to parties over the last year, but I never joined them in attending any.

I knew that I was more introverted than most teenagers, but I enjoyed spending my time doing things that were in my comfort zone. Sometimes things like parties, drinking or spending time around the opposite sex scared me a little. They were all new experiences that I couldn't possibly try when my anxiety was always sky high.

I actually felt mostly embarrassed that I had sheltered myself for so long and hadn't given these new experiences a try. Maybe if I just put my shy personality to the side and went to a party with Jordy and Grace, then I would've had my first kiss by now.