03 | The Odds Have It

JAN, 2017

JAN, 2017

An entire week had gone by since we had first gone back to school.

This meant that I had attended an entire week of English classes where Harry had sat behind me for an hour or two at a time.

It was nerve wracking to say the least.

I could feel his eyes burning into the back of my head throughout every lesson. I was too nervous to put my hand up to speak when Mr B asked us questions because I didn't want to stutter in front of him and make a fool of myself.

I had never been shy of participating in classes, and now, I felt like I had something to prove in front of his presence, but I froze up anytime I tried to be brave and speak up.

It was also the strangest feeling being so close to someone yet feeling so far away from them at the same time. Just because I didn't know the person that he had become over these past few years, didn't mean that his presence in itself wasn't familiar to me.

Being so close to him meant that I had started to notice the obvious changes that would come with age. He no longer smelt of fresh coconut deodorant, but of musky vanilla that most likely came from whatever cologne he was sporting. There was a hint of cigarette smoke as well that surprisingly made the scent all the more intoxicating and slightly addicting.

I had seen him and his friends smoking around school for a while now. How they were able to get cigarettes was beyond me, as the only one that was legal to do so was Louis who had only turned 18 a month ago. I had wondered what made Harry decide to start smoking the cancerous sticks, wondering when he had started too.

Was he influenced or was it his choice?

Were his tattoos his choice or was that peer pressure?

He had never seemed like the kind of person to follow anyone. Even from a young age he had leadership qualities in him, and that much was still obvious now when you saw him commandeering the football team during games and practice.

I don't think that anyone could convince him to do something that he didn't want to do. Everyone seemed to follow in his footsteps and do as he asked just to please him. He was a hot commodity at school, so it made sense that everyone did whatever they could to get a slither of his attention.

His hair was less curly now compared to when we were kids. From the looks of it, his hair still had that same volume and bounce, but he used to have tight ringlets of light brown hair instead of the darker and more smooth tendrils that he has now.

The tattoos were one of the biggest differences in his appearance.

He had pure untouched skin when we were friends, and now multiple parts of his body were covered in the sporadic designs of ink. From what I could see, he had quite a few on the upper part of his left arm, a ship being the largest piece on his body. Majority of them were detailed and in my opinion, beautiful, but others that were scattered about were very simple or small.