05 | Night Swims

FEB, 2017

FEB, 2017

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in while my back remained flat against the front door of our house.

I was utterly exhausted from the amount of walking and shopping that the girls and I had done today. I absolutely didn't want to step foot into another shopping centre for at least a few more months if I could avoid it.

"Leah? Is that you?" I hear my mum shout from the kitchen.

"Yeah mum, I'm home." I shout back as I place my keys on the rack beside the front door and make my way throughout the house.

As I come into the kitchen, I see my mum leaned up against the counter while sipping on a cup of coffee while my dad was behind her, fluffing about in the kitchen as he prepared dinner. I dropped all of the shopping bags in my hands on the countertop before moving around to the other side where my parents were.

"How was it, my love?" She asks in amusement to see all of my shopping bags, and I move to stand next to her and cuddle into her side, her arms winding around my body to squeeze me even closer.

"Tiring and annoying." I mumble and I feel her place a kiss on my forehead.

I moved away from her embrace to give my dad a hug. The aroma that was flying throughout the kitchen had me salivating. I absolutely loved the fact that my dad was a chef, he always made the most delicious food.

"What's for dinner daddio?" I question him and he chuckles a little at my use of a nickname that I came up with a long time ago.

"I've made a slow-cooked red wine beef casserole with creamy mash potato and some green beans, how does that sound?"

"Sounds bloody fantastic." I say before pulling away from him and sitting myself down on the other side of the counter.

"You had some luck at the shops then?" Mum questions as she peers into one of the bags, and I'm quick to snatch them from the counter and stand up with them in my hands. If the bag that she looked into happened to contain lingerie that Grace or Jordy most likely snuck into them, then I would never live it down.

"If by luck you mean Jords and Gracie practically buying the entire store and forcing me to take these bags home, then yes, I did." I mutter sarcastically before turning on my heel and heading up the stairs to put the bags away. I could hear my mum and dad chuckling as I left them in the kitchen. They knew that I hated shopping, so they definitely found the entire situation incredibly amusing.

After I stuffed the bags into my closet, telling myself that I would go through everything that they bought for me later, I laid back on my bed and opened the book that I was currently reading, trying to kill time before dinner was ready.