06 | New Adventures

FEB, 2017

FEB, 2017

The sound of chairs screeching against the tiled floor is what pulls me from my thoughts.

I looked up to see that everyone in the classroom was rising from their seats, packing up their belongings and slowly exiting out the door, one after the other.

I glanced at the clock that sat heavily against the front wall to see that our class was in fact over for today. The bell must have rung recently and I had been completely hypnotised by what I was doing to even notice the blaring sound. I did have my earphones in like usual, blasting music to help block out my surroundings to fully immerse myself in the task at hand.

My hand had started to cramp up from the position that it had been in for the past 2 hours while holding a variety of different sized paint brushes. My large canvas sat in front of me, a mix of colours and layers as I started to bring my vision to life.

I was currently painting a landscape.

I had done some research on ideas that I was wanting to incorporate for my final project towards the end of the year, and in the end I had decided that I definitely wanted it to be a landscape.

I had done a variety of different art styles the entire time that I had been in these art classes at school. I found that my calling was nature and the sceneries that came with it, whether that be the beach, waterfalls, a forest, or something as simple as rain or a cloudy sky. I found comfort in making those visions come to life.

I personally felt that I did a better job artistically at drawing and painting landscapes than if I were to be doing self portraits. I thrived in creating art for sceneries as opposed to people, I connected with them more.

I couldn't tell you the age that I was when I first became enthralled with drawing. I've been doing it for as long as I could remember, and it stemmed from being inspired by the beauty of nature.

A still lake.

The depth in colours that a lake possesses when you look at it from different angles. The way that the sun's glare ensures that the motionless water is a variety of different colours, from blue to green to black.

How you could simply touch your fingertip to the still and murky water and create a giant ripple of movement, a mass amount of symmetrical circles that would float out further and further from each other.

The subtle green leaves on trees.

The way that they would rustle together as a gust of wind would come through, bringing them a little more life, some releasing their hold on the dark heavy branches to become one with the sky for a little while.

How quiet nature would be when there weren't people around to ruin the peace that it emanates. Any area that was void of the hustle and bustle that came with humans was one of my favourite places to be. Any deserted park, road, or patch of grass brought me a sense of peace, just as the water did.