10 | Study Session

FEB, 2017

FEB, 2017

Harry - 9:45am
Hey :) are we still good for today?

I had sneakily pulled my phone out from my pocket and held it under the table as I felt the buzz against my skin. Harry was texting me to make sure that our study session was still on, as he had been doing in some capacity for the past few days.

He would send me a message to check in that our plans were still all good, or to ask random questions about what he should bring or what we should discuss come our study session. They were always messages that could be saved for when we actually met up today, and I was slightly confused as to why he felt the need to text them all.

In some strange sense, it felt like he just sent a message for the sake of sending a message. Just to talk to me in some way, even though all of my responses were short or dry. I barely gave him anything back half of the time, but he didn't seem to let it discourage him one bit.

He did stray away from asking me any personal questions which I appreciated, as that's not why I gave him my phone number in the first place, and he knew that.

Me - 9:47am
Yes. I'll meet you at the cafe after school.

I originally suggested meeting at the school library for our first study session as I thought that a neutral environment would help us focus on the assignment. There would be no personal touches to a library that would help sway the conversation away from the topic at hand, and I felt like we needed that.

Unfortunately, I could still look into his eyes and get drawn to them in a way that would put me under a trance, which meant that he'd have easy access in getting me to talk about other things than the assignment we should be working on.

I fear that he would always have that effect on me, but I wasn't about to let him have the upper hand about it.

We'd be surrounded by other peers in the library and there would be no additional noise or distractions there, which seemed like the absolute perfect area for us to do our study sessions at.

However, when I brought it up to Harry, he suggested that we go to a small cafe instead as he 'focuses better' when he's energised with some food and drinks in his system. He also mentioned that the library would probably be crowded with people already despite it being this early in the year, and unfortunately, I knew that he was right.

Our last year of highschool meant that we had a lot more work then we had ever received so far. I was already piled up with assignments from each subject and trying to find a schedule to fit in adequate time for each and every one of them. I knew that the library was a common place for the majority of our cohort to go to when they needed peace and quiet to focus on their subjects.

He also mentioned that considering this was a group project, we wouldn't just be working in silence. We were working on writing this piece together, bouncing ideas off of one another and we had to talk for that to happen.