02

It has been said that, "Of all bitches dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine

It has been said that, "Of all bitches dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine." If that should be true, then this author would like to show you her teeth. My name is Lady Whistledown. You do not know me, and rest assured, you never shall. But be forewarned, dear reader, I certainly know you.

"You absolutely sparkled, Sister." Hyacinth let out in the midst of the giggles of joy around the room, while Carina could only sit on Daphne's bed and curse the fates for such a luck.
"Come, now. I merely simpered and minced in a pretty dress like everyone else." Daphne answers, clearly thinking otherwise with that huge grin on her lips.
"Not exactly like everyone else." Fransesca rushed to her sister's defence.

The conversation only worried Eloise, for her friend,"Oh, I shall need to go and visit with Penelope." But that did not stop her from teasing her elder sister on her accomplishment. "Her presentation was anything but...What was it the queen called you again?"

"Flawless... or some such thing. Trust I was astonished Her Majesty offered us, out of 200 young ladies present, a most gracious remark. Am I not right Carina?", Carina smiled small and mumbled a quiet, "Absolutely, sister."
Trust she wasn't particularly upset about her predicament. While she might not be enthused to marry or find a husband, she was elated by the recognition Her Majesty showered upon herself and Daphne. For that would immensely help her little sister find a loving suitor and have a huge family like she had always wished for.

And so, if to ensure her sister's happiness Carina shall suffer throughout the season, or even marry for title so her little siblings do not have to, she shall gladly do so.

"Speaking of Carina, I had never seen Her Majesty so happy before sister! You surely made an impression." Fransesca gushed, rushing to Carina's side now that it was her turn to change." Just then, Hyacinth let out a squeal and with a dreamy sigh said, "Oh! You looked like a princess, sister."
"Did I now? Well, my sweet Hyacinth, you know how mother always says you look similar to me as a kid? Perhaps you shall look like a princess at my age too!" Carina cooed, and genuinely smiled when she saw Hyacinth's excitement. She loved to dote on her siblings.

"What was that she called you Carina? Right... 'A rare jewel'! Well she was right about that sister! Only, all of the ton would now like to acquire the Queen's jewel for themselves." said Eloise, attempting to irk her eldest sister, knowing her dislike for marriage. "Do not remind me sister, Im just glad Her Majesty could see how special Daff is and offered us a chance to shine out of all of the 200 young ladies present!"

"Yes, it was quite a distinction. And now 200 young ladies have you two as common adversaries. I wish you luck, Sisters." Eloise remarks, clearly not fond of the entire marriage ordeal.
"Eloise!" Fransesca warns. "What? It is true."

"As your elder sisters, our success on the marriage mart influences all of your prospects. Also why Carina had her debut with me despite being clearly against it. She did it all for our sake," Daphne reminds all her younger sisters, her tone sharp. "We will all need to find love one day."