10

Carina entered the ball on Anthony's arm, Daphne, Benedict, her mama and Colin, following right behind them

Carina entered the ball on Anthony's arm, Daphne, Benedict, her mama and Colin, following right behind them. She was wearing her family's heirloom jewellery, so was Daphne, something her mama suggested out of happiness after receiving an invitation to tea with Her Majesty, the Queen herself.

Entering the room, she immediately faced the Duke and Lady Danbury, and after a silent greeting, he asked her for a dance.
"A dance, Miss Bridgerton?", he said with the sweetest smile on his lips. She could see Anthony's displeasure and how he was all but a moment away from objecting, only Lady Danbury rescued her, " I shall need someone else to seek me a glass of ratafia, then. Lord Bridgerton..." she offered her hand to Anthony, leaving him no option but to obey her, "do me the honor?"

"Of course, Lady Danbury." he rather reluctantly agreed and walked away. Taking the Dukes outstretched hand, Carina spoke as they made their way to the dance floor, "Six balls no more. I must have you at eight, Your Grace.  Along with a picnic."
"A picnic?" he queried ridiculously,
"I am afraid we are required to fan the flames of our charade." she replies, clearly glum at the thought.
"Oh, because of Lord Berbrooke, I presume? I heard." he says.

"We must make him believe that you are on the very precipice of a proposal... so he will leave me alone." she says.
"I should hope I do not lose my balance, then." he humoured, letting out a chuckle and offering his hands to Carina as the dance was soon to begin.
"I should hope not, either, for you will be glued to my side all evening." she quipped back with a huge smile on her face, while gently placing her hands in his.

Suddenly schooling her countenance a bit more stern, she demands, "And we must look like we are enjoying ourselves, as difficult as that may be." before she could not pretend any longer and let out a giggle.
"Yes, quite." he says with a smile, enjoying her company more than he ever imagined he could.

And as the song began and she danced with the Duke, she realised she need not pretend to have fun. She laughed and danced and laughed, and Carina didn't quite remember the last time she had been this carefree, enjoyed things as simple as rehearsed steps. She found out this one pretence might not be as taxing as she first thought.
She did not ponder when Benedict cut in for a dance as the song came to an end. It was not unusual, she loved dancing with her brothers, and they always made sure she had at least a single dance with at least one of them. Yet, as her gaze fell upon Anthony and the Duke near the refreshments, along with Berbrooke following them, she could not let herself be settled.

Keeping an eye on the men and witnessing Anthony almost attack Lord Berbrooke, she excused herself and swiftly moved towards her brother, "What has happened? Brother?" she asked, and with the utmost guilt and a protective look in his eyes he says, "You need not worry about Berbrooke. Sister, it is done." And she knew then. He knows, the Duke told him.
Vexed with the Duke and his nerve to speak for her, she walked towards him and questioned him in disbelief, "You told him?"
"I had to say something." he says, a pained look in his eyes. "All will be well, though, I assure you."