19

"If Mama knew I were here, of all places

"If Mama knew I were here, of all places... Especially so soon after the last time I had been here..." Carina whispered, not really meaning anything by the words as she was overjoyed to be there, given how her mother had forbidden her to go to a match after she found out the last time Carina had sneaked out to see Mr. Mondrich play.

"Trust she would have more to say to me than you." Anthony replied, "Well, maybe not. Daphne has nothing to worry about but you on the other hand?" Anthony snorted and Carina swatted his arm as they both looked in the direction of an absent minded Daphne looking around in awe.

"Daff, look! There's your Viscount. Come Anthony, let us leave them be." Carina uttered as she saw the Viscount approaching.

Just then, Anthony noticed the Prince making way toward them, "And there's your prince now. With your fancy well in hand, I shall make myself scarce for the final blow." he said as Carina whispered, "What? Is that why you brought me here? You will regret it Anthony!" She says just as her elder brother slipped away, looking afraid. Oh, he should be afraid! Scheming against her like that! He should know better by now.

As the Prince neared, Carina plastered a polite smile on her face, "Miss Bridgerton, I am delighted to see you here today, though surprised. Though I asked your brother to bring you so we could spend some time together, I admit I did not hold much hope. Most ladies I have met cannot seem to reconcile their delicate sensibilities with the brutality of fights." He said.

"You must have no sisters, Your Highness, if you think most women delicate and mild. A trip to the modiste during a silk shortage would disabuse you of such notions for good." Carina joked, she figured the Prince is pleasant company. Perhaps, even a really good friend if he stopped trying to wed and bed her.

"I suppose I have much to learn, then. I would appreciate your expert tutelage if you would join me." Carina hesitated. Then again, she figured she did not have much to lose and perhaps this could be a good chance to reject the Prince's proposal, "Miss Bridgerton?"
"Of course. I would be delighted."

As the match began and they took their seats, Carina winced at a brutal punch the Prince's man received, "Fear not. My man is made of sterner stuff." She chuckled and said, "Be that it may Your Highness, I for once do not doubt Mr. Mondrich's skills. I have witnessed him play on a number of occasions before and I can confidently say my man can beat your man with ease."

"Well, we shall see that Miss Bridgerton." the Prince chuckled back and turned to the fight as his man landed a punch, "Yes, again!"

"Come on, Mondrich! Watch your feet!" Someone shouted, and even before looking for him, Carina knew who it was. Simon. Her Simon. He was here. That wasn't such a surprise considering he had mentioned being friends with Mr. Mondrich.

What shocked her was that he still hadn't left England. He was supposed to leave today. Then it was only still noon, perhaps he plans to leave later in the day.