03

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster."

Arriving at the Danbury ball, Carina could not help but marvel at the sight. The decorations were the most exquisite she had ever seen and the scene was heavenly. Entering the festive ballroom with Daphne on one arm and Anthony on the other, Carina finally took note of the people present at the ball and almost shuddered. She could see men people staring, even feel their gazes, but kept on a charming smile on her face.

As if reading her mind, Anthony spoke up, "They're all staring, Mother.", while he looked around at all the men with a menacing glare. Ignoring her eldest, Violet addressed her two daughters and said,"Allow them to come to you, dears."
And they did come to them indeed. A young man, unfamiliar to Carina but certainly not to the other Bridgertons, walked over and greeted the family, "Lady Bridgerton, Miss Bridgerton. Lord Bridgerton. Miss Bridgerton."

"I believe you have already been introduced to my daughter Daphne, Lord Ambrose." her mama let out, and Carina's face lit with recognition. This was the man Anthony had once spoken about, a cheat.

"Uh, yes. We met at your brother's levee." was his reply.
"If I recall, my lord, you had just won your first race at Newmarket." says Daphne.
"His first and only, I believe." assures Anthony.
Trying to mend the awkward situation, Daphne comments, "Well, in that case, let us hope his lordship has found himself a new horse."

Anthony suddenly bursts out, "I haven't had the pleasure of seeing you at our club lately, Ambrose. Should it have anything to do with the unpaid balance you left on our betting books winter last?" the man quickly left, clearly ashamed by her brother's bluntness.
"Ambrose is a cheat. A man of any honor ensures his debts are fully paid." he explains.

"I did not realize..." was the only thing Daphne could say.

"Well, how could you have done? It is the very reason I am here, Sisters. Let us take a turn about the room." says Anthony, proud of himself and offers his arms to both his sisters, not taking note of Daphne's dejected face.

"He is rather pleasing." offers Carina, pointing out a man to Daphne, trying to lift her spirits once again.
Anthony quickly counters her, "He is rather here to shuffle about hunting fortunes. Trust Mr. Lewis knows of your sizable dowry. Leave him be." Now Carina was getting angered more and more by the minute just as Daphne was getting glum. Anthony was finding faults in all of the gentlemen that caught Daphne's eyes. At this rate, she was sure all of the Bridgerton women shall become spinsters and not of choice.

"Anthony! Carina! Daph!" calls out Benedict, and with his and Colin's arrival, so comes the arrival of a plan in Carina's mind, now the only thing she requires, is the right opportunity to execute it.