18

At the modiste, with Daphne and her mama, Carina hears Lady Cowper converse with Violet, "Cressida would never have a hope with the prince if any of your daughters went for him

At the modiste, with Daphne and her mama, Carina hears Lady Cowper converse with Violet, "Cressida would never have a hope with the prince if any of your daughters went for him. We all know my darling might have the fortune, but it is your Carina and Daphne who have the face." She heard her say, and it clicked something in her.

She was right, Carina could have the Prince if she wanted. She could have any suitor she wanted. There is no use moping over her unrequited feelings for Simon.

Carina is a Lady, the eldest daughter of the noble House of Bridgerton, and it is about time she acted her part. She was raised to be a perfect wife to whomever she shall marry. This was her identity, this was who she shall be, and it is time she gave up on futile dreams and fantasies and faced her reality.

Marrying, into the best possible house, was her duty, as a woman and as the eldest daughter to her family. The time for freedom and education had long passed. She would fulfil her duty. She shall marry and she shall please her husband in any way he desires. And why couldn't she chose him from her many suitors?

Even though she would not be marrying her husband for love, she would learn to grow fond of him, if not love him. She could have anything she wanted from material things to a loving husband and family. After all, everyone seemed to think that the Queen's 'Royal Jewel' was the best catch for any gentlemen.

It was time to put a stop to her madness and finally begin what she set out to do in the first place, before getting distracted by her feelings, finding herself an exceptional husband as her match would set the prospect of future matches for her siblings. Not to mention, she needs to at least be engaged, if not married, before Daphne gets engaged or it could cause scandal and ruin Daphne's match.

Arriving home, she instructed Lily to prepare her best dress and do her hair the most flattering way. Carina was on a mission tonight, and she was determined to achieve success.

◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️

"Are you feeling all right, dearest?"

Standing on the balcony, out of sight of the people enjoying the ball down below, Carina stood, taking a deep breath to brace herself.
"Exceptionally." she answered back to her worried mama, who was quite concerned upon seeing Carina dress up in her best garments this evening.

Ascending the staircase alongside her younger sister, Carina could feel everyone's gazes on her, just like all the other events she had attended.

Only, this time rather than letting the attention sully her mood, she let it empower her. She stepped into the limelight rather than escaping it. Let everyone see exactly how much more alluring Carina Bridgerton could be if she wanted, if she stopped hiding.