07

Carina sat down with her family at the dining table

Carina sat down with her family at the dining table. For whatever reason, her mama had invited the duke to dinner with them.
"Haven't you heard what we're talking about?" questions Benedict.
"For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury, of all places." Says Anthony.
"What should be so terrible about Bloomsbury? That people there actually work for a living?" Counters Benedict.

"She does seem to be someone with access." states Daphne.
"Who knows if Whistledown is even a she?", ponders Colin, angering Eloise.
"Fair point.", Anthony says, offending Eloise even more.
"Because she is simply too good to be anyone but a man?" Eloise remarks with irony.

"Well, I think it rather obvious that the writer is Lady Danbury." Fransesca offers.
"No, Lady Danbury enjoys sharing her insults with society directly. She would never bother herself writing them all down." says Carina, laughing at the thought of her godmother as Lady Whistledown.
"Could it be Lady Featherington?" Hyacinth questions sweetly, and immediately, a chorus of several  "No!", is heard all around the table while everyone laughs at the suggestion.
"You have yet to read what Whistledown writes of the Featheringtons, little sister." explains Eloise.

"You must forgive this rather unruly debate, Your Grace." Her mama says to the duke.
"Nonsense. I find it entertaining." he answers. Well, atleast he is polite to her mama.
Violet looked surprised, "Oh!"

"All of you at one table, even the children.", he continues.
"Well, I realize it may be unfashionable, but we like each other. Most of the time.", she informs him.
"You should join us more often, Your Grace. Perhaps when we travel to our country seat. You would be most welcome."

Just then, Hyacinth loses patience with the mischievous Gregory, "Gregory!", she says slamming her fist on the table, "Would you stop tossing peas at me?"
And looking like a deer caught in the light, his only retort seemed to be, "Those peas were already there. You cannot tell me what to do. I am older."
"And I'm taller." Hyacinth counters.

"Children..." says Carina, clearly as a warning, which is heeded when they both stop the fight. Choosing to pay attention to the food rather than the ten different conversations going on at the table, Carina falls silent when she hears the Duke speak up beside her, "You appear displeased." Turning to face him, she offers him a sarcastic smile, " Oh! Do I, My Lord?"

"We find ourselves seated beside each other, Miss Bridgerton. I'd like to think you're happy about that." he says, trying to tease her. Simon really enjoys pushing her buttons he finds.
"Perhaps, Your Grace, it would be better if you refrained from thinking about me at all.", she counter backs. "It is simply surprising.", he says.
"Yes! However is it possible for a lady to offer anything other than a smile whilst seated beside a duke? I assume that is also why it was nary a possibility of anyone not being aware of who you are?" She bites back, thinking back to the Danbury ball argument. Now, anyone hearing the contents of their conversation might believe them to be  at each other's throats, only for them, this is playful banter.