Part five

Lady Lesso's POV

Ever since the incident a few days ago I've been super worried about Iris. I haven't said anything about her eating yet, but I know I will have to soon. She has mostly been sleeping, sometimes through breakfast, lunch or dinner. Today though I decided I was going bring breakfast to her, it is a special day after all. It won't be easy, but it's something I'm willing to fight for with her. I knocked on her door but didn't receive an answer. I opened the door and saw her laying in bed.

"Iris, peanut you have to wake up." I said softly. She groaned and rolled over. "I know, mama is so mean for making you be productive but you get your finger today." I chuckled. She finally opened her eyes and looked at me. "There is my little girl." I cooed. She smiled.

"Morning mama." She yawned.

"Morning sweetheart." I replied. "I got your breakfast." I continued. I could see her face drop. "Iris I know it's hard and I understand that it might take some time but you really need to eat something." I said, concern lacing through my voice I held her plate out for her. I was hoping that little foods like grapes, chocolates, small amounts of cereal or other fruits would help her. She hesitantly took her plate and looked at me again. I gave her a small smile to encourage her. She stared down at her food and I decided I would start eating my breakfast to show her that it was okay to eat. She looked at me before slowly eating a grape. It took some time but slowly I got her to eat. When we were done I looked at the time and saw we were 15 minutes late for the ceremony. I helped Iris get dressed and walked her to the assembly hall. She sat down at the Evers side while I walked to my place next to Dovey.

"Finally, I thought you forgot." She complained.

"I'm sorry, I was helping Iris with her breakfast and it took some time." I explained. The blonde's look softened and she nodded, letting me know she understood. "Dovey, can you do Iris last? I want to be able to see it and I can't if I have my own students."

"Of course." She replied. I thanked her and we started the ceremony.

"To access one's magic, one must first unlock one's finger glow." Dovey said.

"Once you've mastered your finger glow, it will prove to be invaluable." I continued.

"Have no fear, Evers. Good feels no pain." Dovey comforted her students. I looked at Iris, seeing her zoned out. I couldn't help her right now no matter how much I wish I could.

"Nevers it's going to hurt." I laughed. "Line up!" I yelled while tapping my cane on the ground. All the students lined up in two rows and we began unlocking the finger glows. After I had every student I looked over to Dovey's row. She still had a few more students to go but I didn't see Iris. I looked around, looking for my daughter. I saw her sitting in the exact same place as before, staring down at the ground. I walked over to her and knelt down.

"Iris, honey are you okay?" I asked. She looked up.

"I-I'm sorry." She stuttered out. I stroked my hand over her knee to calm her down.

"What are you sorry for peanut?" Before she could answer a voice interrupted them.

"Iris? It's your turn." Dovey called. Luckily all the other students were busy talking. I held my hand out for her to take. We walked over to Dovey and Iris held her finger out. Dovey did what she had to do and unlocked her finger glow. It glowed a bright purple, brighter than mine. I looked at Dovey, shocked. Because one, her finger glowed much brighter than it normally would and two, normally it would glow white or yellowish not purple. I didn't say anything and just held my arms open and she walked into them.

"Come on bubba, let's go to your room okay?" I proposed. We walked back, silently going back to her room. Iris what's going on, tell me what you're thinking." She stayed silent and I decided that I would let it go for now. "What about this, today you can come with me to classes? You up for that?" I asked. Her eyes seemed to brighten and she nodded. We walked to my classroom together and I got everything ready for todays lesson. The students came in and began whispering about Iris. "Shut up! I know you're all curious so I'll tell you this. Iris, the girl in the back, is my daughter. She's going to be here for a few days. Now I don't want to hear anything about it, alright." I said. It was dead silent. I was in the middle of my lesson when I looked over to Iris and saw her bouncing her leg.

It's okay peanut, just breath in and out okay. I said in her mind. Her eyes shoot up to me.

Mama I don't feel good. She replied. I sighed.

"Alright everyone I want you to work on your special talent. Everyone is dismissed, I'll see you tomorrow." I said. I rushed to Iris's side, taking her in my arms. "It's okay sweetheart, I'm here." I cooed. She calmed down sooner than I expected. "Why don't we spend the rest of the day together, just you and me." She looked excited at the idea. I took her out to the lake, we had a picknick and played around together. Hearing my baby girl giggle like that again, was one of the best sounds I have ever heard. I looked to the schools and saw a figure standing by a window. I knew the room that was there, it was Dovey's office, she was watching us. "Okay bubba, let's go back now, I'm sure someone is missing us already." I said we walked back to the school and Iris told me she wanted to go to the library and I went to Dovey's office. I knocked on the door and waited for an answer.