Part nine

Iris's POV

It's been a few weeks since I turned into a toddler and mom has told me all the embarrassing things I did. I've also noticed that she seems closer to Dovey, I can't explain but something is different. Tonight is the Evers ball so we got half the day off to get ready. I looked through my dresses, trying to decide what I was going to wear. The minutes turned into hours and soon it was almost time to go. I still didn't know what to wear, everything I tried on looked ugly on me and I decided I just wouldn't go. I was laying in bed, the ball had started a bit over an hour ago, when someone knocked on my door.

"Go away." I replied. But much to my dismay they didn't listen. Professor Dovey walked, looking absolutely beautiful.

"Iris, what are you doing here? You're supposed to be at the ball remember?" She reminded me.

"I'm not going." I mumbled. Her expression changed to a concerned one.

"Why aren't you going sweetheart?" She asked me.

It's not worth it, I'm not- I'm not pretty. No one wants me there anyways." I said, not looking at Dovey.

"Oh my dear Iris, you are so much prettier than any princess I have ever met." She said.

"I'm not beautiful Dovey, you can't fix that." I argued back.

"That, my dear, is in fact an easy fix." She said before she got out her wand. A bright light emerged from as she waved it around. I had to close my eyes but when I opened them she looked like a fairy.

"The most wished for fairy godmother in the Endless Woods at your service

"The most wished for fairy godmother in the Endless Woods at your service." She said.

"Wow, you're a fairy godmother? How didn't I know this? I read all the fairy tales." I said. She smiled.

"Well does 'Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo' sound familiar?" She giggled. I gasped at the realization that she was Cinderella's fairy godmother. "Now dear Iris, let's get you ready for that ball." She said.

"Dovey you don't have to. It won't work so don't waste your energy over me." I whispered.

"You won't know if you don't at least try." She said. I sighed knowing she won't give up. I gave her the go again sign. Her wand glowed again and she loved it in a circular motion. "Gods of beauty hear my call, make this one the loveliest of them all." She said, her wand glowed bride and I was surrounded by gold glitter. I looked at my clothing, seeing the most beautiful dress I've ever seen.

"Did it really work? You really made me beautiful

"Did it really work? You really made me beautiful." I asked in disbelief.

"Well of course my dear. Now go, you have a ball to attend." She said. I walked to the ball, the doors opened and everyone looked at me. Both Evers and Nevers started whispering. My mother walked towards me.

"You look so beautiful peanut." She whispered, before kissing my head. I walked towards the side of the room, deciding that I would get something to drink. I was watching the people dance for a while, mesmerized by how gracious they were. I jumped when I heard a voice next to me.

"Hi, I'm Melory but everyone calls me Mal." She said. I looked at her, she was beautiful. By her clothing I guessed she was a never, she was mostly dressed in black.

"My name is Iris, nice to you." I replied. She smiled at me.

"I noticed you standing here alone. I mean you're always alone when I see you but I didn't have a chance to talk to you." She explained. "You look beautiful by the way, the dress suites you." She complemented. I could feel my cheeks heat up.

"T-thanks. You look very beautiful as well." I stuttered. She shot me a charming smile.

"Would you like to dance?" She asked me, catching me off guard. I nodded, unable to get the words out. We made our way to the dance floor and started. She was taller than me, only by a little. I remembered what we had learned in our classes. I got so lost in the dance that I didn't notice that soon, we were the only ones dancing while everyone was watching us. Suddenly Mak picked me up and spun me around. I laughed and leaned into her when my feet touched the ground again. The song ended and it was then that I realized that everyone saw this. I looked up at Mal, her eyes sparkling at me. I discreetly made my way out of the room, and to the secret garden. I couldn't process what happened, everyone saw it.

"Iris? are you okay." I heard a voice behind. I recognized it. It was Mal.

"I-I'm okay." My breathing was heavy, I knew this was the beginning of a panic attack but I didn't say anything.

"It's beautiful here." She whispered. I tried slowing my breathing but failed, only falling further in my own mind. "Iris, you have to breath, slow deep breaths, come on beautiful. You can do it." Mal said. She sat me down, helping me. After a moment, I calmed down. "Is everything okay? You want to tell me what happened?"

"It's just, the other princesses don't really like and when everyone was looking I got scared. Sorry I ran out like that." I apologized.

"It's okay beautiful. They might stare, but that's just because you look so beautiful." She smiled. I could feel myself blushing furiously. She put her hand on my cheek and kissed me. I was so stunned at first that I froze but after processing, I kissed her back. When we broke apart, her eyes sparkled with happiness. "You're really good at that." She complemented.

"Thank you, you too." I replied nervously.

"Iris, sweetheart are you here?" I heard Dovey call. Mal and I quickly created an acceptable distance between us. Soon my mom and Dovey came into view.

"Iris are you okay?" My mom asked.

"I'm okay mom, Mal helped me calm down." I replied before looking at Mal.

"Oh really? Did she now?" Dovey asked with a teasing smile. "You know, that was quite the dance you performed back there." She continued. I blushed and so did Mal.

"Well I think we should go back in now, why don't we leave those two alone for a moment Dovey?" My mom proposed. They walked back, leaving us alone.

"Lesso's your mom?" Mal asked, sounding shocked.

"Well yea but she didn't raise me, she had to give me away because otherwise my father would've killed me but yes she my mom." I replied. "I hope that it won't scare you off."

"Of course not. But how are you an ever and your mom a never?" She questioned.

"I don't really know, maybe because I grew up without my mom." I replied.

"We stayed in the garden for a little longer, before returning to the ball. We spend the whole evening together. I went to bed, thinking about Mal. I already knew I wanted to see her again.