Chapter 6: Bright Future (Part 2)

The afternoon sun cast long shadows across the hospital hallway, as Y/N found himself seated just outside the room where Eri lay, still unconscious. His gaze remained fixed on the myriad of equipment connected to her small, fragile body, his focus unyielding as he monitored every blip and beep, searching for any irregularities in her vital signs.

The quarantine door creaked open, and a doctor clad in a hazardous materials suit stepped into the room. Y/N's eyes followed his every move, his stare unrelenting. The doctor, engrossed in his task, finally turned and caught sight of Y/N's unwavering gaze. A slight shiver ran down his spine, unsettled by the teen's cold, penetrating stare. He quickly averted his eyes, refocusing on his work, hoping to shake off the disquiet that had settled upon him.

For the next half hour, the doctor conducted his scheduled checkup on the slumbering Eri. With each passing minute, Y/N's tension grew, his watchful eyes never leaving the doctor's figure. Finally, the examination was complete, and the doctor, still somewhat unnerved by Y/N's presence, hastily made his exit from the room. Y/N let out a breath he hadn't realised he was holding, his body relaxing against the cool wall behind him, as if releasing the weight of his apprehension.

------------------------------

From behind a nearby corner, Eraserhead emerged, his scarf draped around his neck. A faint smile played at the corners of his lips as he observed Y/N's unease. Taking a seat next to him, Eraserhead's amusement became evident. Almost instinctively, Y/N shifted, creating a slight distance between them, his discomfort palpable.

Eraserhead: "You seem worried about something," his voice tinged with curiosity.

Y/N's gaze remained fixed ahead, never wavering from Eri's direction. 

Y/N: "Just making sure the doctors don't do anything to her," he replied, his voice devoid of emotion.

Eraserhead settled into his seat, studying Y/N for a moment. Then, with a hint of amusement, he posed a question.

Eraserhead: "Anything eventful happen while I was away?"

Y/N's response came without shifting his gaze, his voice monotone.

Y/N: "Everything's gone smoothly so far."

Eraserhead leaned back, crossing his arms. 

Eraserhead: "If everything been going smoothly, then why are you still sitting here?" he inquired, genuine curiosity coloring his tone.

Y/N, still fixated on Eri, posed a simple question back without looking at Eraserhead.

Y/N: "Why do you care?"

Eraserhead's eyes flickered between Y/N and Eri, a mix of concern and duty etched upon his face. 

Eraserhead: "I'm a hero," he began, his voice carrying the weight of his responsibilities, 

"and as much as I hate it, it's my job to care for others."

Y/N's gaze dipped slightly, acknowledging Eraserhead's sincere response. The silence lingered between them, broken only by the distant sounds of hospital activity.