Chapter Two

My mom is honestly one of the best people in my life; not saying Dad isn't high up on that list. After allowing me to rant to her about how having Lorelai entering Chilton has changed my school dynamic, she proceeded to give me more perspective on the situation as a whole.

Three Days Ago...

"Honey, I understand that having her there has been difficult, but have you thought about how she feels?" 

"Honestly," I start, Mom giving me a look, "not really. I didn't realize until she got there that she has no idea who I am."

"Well add that to the fact that she has never been a part of this life in Hartford with society parties and private school. She's probably going through some major culture shock compared to where she came from," Mom suggests as we sort through the papers on the table. 

"Oh," I whisper, "should I try to help her or will that make it worse when she finds out I'm her sister?"

"Sweetheart, that is entirely up to you. Just think hard if you'll regret helping later on."

Back to today...

I decided I should probably help her a little, can't give her mother any more reason to hate me if I let Lorelai struggle so much. I shake the thoughts away as I walk into my first class with the group. Mom had dropped me off before heading into the office means I missed my usual gossip session with Louise and Maddie.

"Hello girls," I grin, "what have I missed?"

"Already got a party lined up for this weekend after the big test," Louise starts, "you in?"

"Only if Paris goes," I respond staring directly into Paris' blue eyes. She rolls her eyes, opting to get out her notebook for class instead of confirming she'll go with it. 

"Just join us anyways?" Maddie asks. I shake my head knowing that if Paris won't go that I'll just drag her to my house for a girl's night in. 

Class begins shortly after I respond, all of us pay attention to the class taking different notes to swap later so we don't miss anything. Right as class comes to a close, Mr. Medina begins handing back our papers from last Friday.

"Decent effort by most," he begins handing them out," Good effort by some, an exceptional effort by three. Miss Geller, Miss Grant, Ms. Hayden." Paris and I grin at each other when we see the A's in bright red ink on our papers. Mr. Medina continues as we do this, "Ms. Graham. Miss Gilmore. Take these home, and learn from your mistakes. Look at the large red circles around various parts of your paper as friendly reminders that to err is human. And that here at Chilton we try to beat that humanity right outta ya!"

Louise grabs Paris' attention as she subtly points to Lorelai's paper marked with a D. 

"Ok, next up. The test - the dreaded test. Shakespeare! The man we've been droning on about for the last three weeks finally comes back to haunt us on Friday. This is a big one my friends - multiple choice with an essay section that will count for 20% of your grade for this semester. And don't be fooled by my kind face and charming personality. This test will be hard, and there will be no makeups," he reminds us as the bell rings, "refer to the study materials that I gave you at the beginning of the month and those extensive notes I know you've been taking." 

And with that, the students are out of their seats and filtering into the halls. Paris falls back as she waits for Louise, Madeline and I to finish putting our stuff away. 

"Hard paper," Paris comments.

"Killer," Louise responds as I roll my eyes at them. I know Lorelai is in front of us and they're just trying to get at her.