Chapter Five

It's the final night to study before our test tomorrow morning and currently, three out of the five studying have promptly stopped. 

"Okay," Louise exclaims, "I'm done. I don't think I can understand Shakespeare any more than I do now. So can we move on to something more exciting?"

"Agreed!" Both Maddie and Tristan yell, dropping their books in the process.

Paris manages to look up from her stack of notes to glare at the three. She goes on to argue and lecture them, again, on the benefits of studying and their "lack of ambition" so I jump in.

"Let's take a break. It's already 9:00 and we've been studying since we got home after school. Everyone cool with pizza?"

Tristan nods, as Louise pipes in, "Can we get one without meat? I read it's trendy to go more vegetarian."

"Of course, Louise. So, supreme for Tristan, no cheese for you Paris, meatless for you two?"

Everyone nods and I leave the room to order, giving clear instructions to clean up the books for a movie. 

We were halfway through Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade, a group favorite when Maddie broke the silence with a question.

"Alice, how long do you think it will take Rory to figure out you're related?"

I take a few deep breaths, really thinking about it. "If Lorelai has her way, probably never. Honestly,  I hope it's soon. It's getting weird having her right there but her not knowing anything."

Paris smiles softly, she knows how badly I want a sibling. We're practically sisters ourselves, but it's different with a twin who doesn't know me.

The group's focus returns to the movie but I can feel the occasional look as they check in on my emotional wellbeing after that admission.

"Is everyone staying over?" Mom asks as she enters to room, Tristan jumps off the couch where the rest of us sat.

"If that's alright with you Mrs. Hayden?" Paris asks in return, glancing at the rest of our friends to confirm that's what they wanted.

"It always is Paris. You know the rules, Ali. Everyone is down here, Tristan on his own couch. The clothes left last time are in the closet by the guest bathroom. I believe you all have a spare of your uniforms in the closet as well. Goodnight, kids!"

"Goodnight, Mrs. Hayden!" "Goodnight, Mom!" We all scream towards her as she walks away.

As the movie finishes, we all split to get ready for bed. I bring down my alarm clock to set for us, as well as leaving a note in the kitchen for Chelsea if she gets here before we wake up. We build a fort in the middle of the living room.

"You really have the coolest mom, Ali," Tristan says, getting cozy on the couch with his half-a-dozen blankets.

"I really do, don't I?"

Paris whispers to me as the others began drifting off, "She is more of a mother to us than our own. You're lucky to have her."

"Thanks, Paris." I yawn before continuing, "Now go to sleep, I promise to review with you on our way to school."

"Deal. Goodnight." And with that I fall asleep, mentally recapping all of Shakespeare as my mind goes blank.

-----

The first thing I hear is the alarm clock going off on the table with a chirping alarm. The second is a loud smack as what I assume is a pillow has been launched. And finally, the third is the loud groan of pain that exits Tristan's mouth.

"Tristan, turn the alarm off!" I hear Louise scream into the pillow.