Chapter Fourteen

Saturday, the day after what I'm hoping is the day Lorelai stopped keeping secrets from Rory and the day I get to see where she grew up. 

I'm nauseous and excited, two conflicting feelings. I check myself in the mirror again, smoothing out the bottom of my dress and readjusting the cardigan, bunching the sleeves up to my elbows. So focused on the details of my outfit, I don't notice Mom leaning against the doorframe watching my nerves get the best of me until she speaks.

"Alice, honey," I freeze, my hands flying away from the hem of my dress, "you look beautiful. Now, take a deep breath and come here."

I do as she says and turn on my heel, walking over to where Mom has sat on the edge of my bed. 

"Why are you so nervous, sweetheart?" Her arms open, leaving space for me to lean into her warmth.

"This could be the first time I'm hanging out with my twin after she found out," I whisper, my voice much more fragile than intended. 

"What makes you think she knows? Has she said something?"

"She hasn't said anything, but Friday Night dinner was yesterday and the invitations go out Monday, so Lorelai had to have told her. Right, Mom?" 

"I would've hoped so."

I catch that phrasing, pulling away from my position to stare at her. "What do you mean?"

She sighs, smoothing my hair down and grabbing my face to make eye contact. "Sweet girl, I am so sorry. She didn't say anything to her. Emily called this morning to let me know they had a huge fight. We have all fought to get Lorelai to be honest, but she won't budge. I'm sorry, my dear."

I sniffle, and tears begin the fight to fall but I won't give the satisfaction to Lorelai (even if she won't know). Mom notices, brushing the pads of her thumbs across my cheek before leaning forward to kiss the top of my head. I move into her embrace, locking my hands behind her back and never wanting to let go. 

Our emotional moment is broken with light laughter as Dad's voice interrupts, "Aww group hugs without me. I'm hurt." Trust Dad to break the heavy emotions with humor. 

Mom's laughter shakes us in our hug as we both open our arms for him to join us. I hear Dad whisper into Mom's ear, asking if she told me what happened at Friday Night Dinner. A brief nod leads to Dad kissing the top of my head, just like Mom did before squeezing the two of us tighter in the hug. 

We pull away, prompting Dad to ask the all-important question, "You ready to see Stars Hollow, Ali?"

"Stars Hollow and Rory, absolutely," I smile, "her Mom, not so much."

"Don't worry about Lorelai," he tells me before continuing, "What have you and Rory planned anyway? Nothing school-related, right?"

"No school-related items on the agenda today, only fun this weekend. She's introducing me to her best friend, Lane, and I'm hoping to meet the boy she's been telling me about. Plus she mentioned this amazing diner in town. So, just gossip and sightseeing for us."

"Very good. Want Mom to drop you off or are any of the girls going with?"

At this question, we both turn to Mom waiting to see if she objects to the idea of driving.

"Mom, is that okay?"

"Always, darling. Want me to pick you up tonight too?"

"Please," I smile, wrapping her back in a hug, "I love you, Mom."

"I know, Ali. I love you most." 

Dad intertwines his fingers with Mom's, pulling lightly to the door, "Finish getting ready. We'll be downstairs when you're ready."