Chapter Three

I grabbed my discarded bookbag by the front door before heading upstairs to my room. I changed out of my uniform and into some sweats before tackling the pile of homework gifted to me on a Monday.

---

I was halfway through the Chemistry review when Chelsea, our maid, knocked on the door.

"Dinner is ready, Miss Alice."

"I told you, Chelsea, it's just Alice," I reminded her, "let my parents know I'll be right down."

She nods, heading downstairs as I organize my work before following after. I get downstairs to hear Mom and dad discussing Mom's new case, from what I hear it's another involving kids. Poor mom. I wait for the conversation about work to stop, which isn't long, before walking into the dining room.

"Hi, Mom. How was work?" I don't want her to know I heard some of the conversation, with confidentiality being a huge thing for her and her clients (outside of Dad since they work together).

"It's going well," she answers, "I'm afraid this new case is going to keep me later but it means it'll be done faster."

I nod and go to respond when dinner is set in front of us, carbonara with Italian breadsticks. Mom's favorite which means this case must be hard for her.

I break the silence first, "I think Dad should go to the parent/teacher meeting."

"Are you sure, Ali?" Dad asks.

"Sweetie, I don't mind going," Mom starts, "she'll find out I exist at some point."

"You have enough to worry about with your new case, Mom. Lorelai should not add to that stress or drama. I'm okay. I promise." I tell her, really not wanting her to stress herself about Lorelai's reaction to her.

"If you're sure."

"I'm always sure, Dad."

We move on to different topics, making plans for dinner with grandparents and cluing dad into Paris' ultimate study strategy for this test on Friday. After dinner, I head back upstairs to continue homework. Before I make it into my room Chelsea brings me the phone.

"It's Mr. Dugray, Miss Alice."

"It's just Alice, Chelsea," I tell her again, "you don't have to be so formal with me."

She smiles before leaving, I answer the phone quite amused with my dear friend.

"Couldn't get enough of me during school, Tristan?"

"Now Alice, I called to beg for help and this is how you treat me?"

"Beg for my help? I haven't heard you even begin to beg, so don't let me stop you. Continue."

"Alice, the light of my life. The smartest girl in Chilton. My best friend. Help me."

"Now how would Paris react knowing you called me the smartest?"

"That feels like a threat, don't do that. She'll kill me."

"Fine, what homework has you so distraught that you must call me?"

"Calculus. I understand nothing."

I get to my Calculus homework, rolling my eyes when I notice what we're working on. "Tristan, you know this information. You don't need help."

He scoffs at my response, "I do need help. I'm halfway through the work and I don't understand what he wants me to solve for number 8."

I flip the page to the question and see the problem. Putting the phone on speaker, Tristan and I go back and forth over the steps to solve the problem. After identifying the answer, Tristan continues about how difficult the homework is before I cave and stay on the line to help him.

"Be honest, did you want help or were you just bored doing it alone over there?"

"It's not my fault you make the homework more fun," he complains.

"I knew it," I laugh, we have these conversations weekly and each time it's because he has discovered that homework alone isn't as entertaining as annoying his only girl friend who isn't into him.

"I have studying to finish," I tell him, "so before you say we can study together, we cannot. I will see you in class tomorrow."

"Fine," he responds reluctantly, "Goodnight, Miss Hayden."

"Goodnight, Mr. Dugray."

After hanging up, I look to the door to see my mom leaning against the frame with a smirk.

"Christ, Mom. Way to stalk your daughter," I lean back in the chair with my hand thrown over my heart.

"Dramatic," she says rolling her eyes as she walks into the room, "now Alice, when are you going to tell me you like Tristan?"

I fake gag at the thought. "Mom! That's the most repulsive thing you have ever said."

"It's okay to like him." She smiles, "Both your father and I approve of him."

"No, never. He's a gross brother. I could not, in any universe, like Tristan," I continue the fake gagging act. The idea disgusts me: I, first of all, am only his friend and study partner who actually studies, and second of all, my best friend has crushed on him since middle school. Could someone say terrible friend?

"Fine," she responds, "it just seems like you two talk a lot and it always seems a little flirty when you do."

"I do not flirt with Tristan, that's gross. And we talk "all the time" because he hates doing homework alone and I'm the only one dumb enough to pick up the phone."

She holds her hands up at my defensiveness. "Okay, I believe you. I will not bring it up again."

"Good."

"Make sure you go to bed at a decent time," she kisses my head, "sleep well, sweetie."

"Goodnight, Mom."

A.N.//

It's a shorter chapter but it's because next chapter I'm jumping to the parent/teacher conference which will be in Christopher's pov. It's ambitious but I promise to do my best. Also sorry for anyone who likes Lorelai (mom), this will be containing some bashing on her character as I'm not fond of how she behaves in the show and her "I'm better than the upper class even though I was raised upper class and enjoyed the benefits until I left."

Hope you enjoy it!