Chapter Four

Christopher's POV

After the short discussion, it was decided I would go to the conference today at Chilton. I'm reminding myself that I am doing this because I love and support both my wife and my daughter, both of whom are stressed in their lives right now. I look down at the list of classes and teachers that Alice made for me just so I remembered to hit every class. I notice the stars next to a couple of courses that signal she wants me to keep an ear open for surprise tests and new lessons so she can get ahead. 

Consulting the list leads me straight into the only class Alice shares with Rory, I guess it's good to get it out of the way then. I walk into the class seeing her friends' parents already in some of the seats.

"Christopher, always good to see you. Elizabeth not able to make it this time?" Tristan's father greets me as I walk through the door.

"James, it's good to see you as well. She's stuck with a difficult case so it's just me this time."

He nods at me before we take a seat as Mr. Medina, the English Literature teacher, begins running us through how the semester is going. 

"We are gonna be focusing on Elizabethan literature. Shakespeare, Marlowe, Bacon, Ben Jonson, John Webster -" Mr. Medina pauses as one of the dads raises his hand briefly before speaking.

"Yeah, is Marlowe really that significant?"

Other parents make a noise in agreement while others seem unbothered by the questioning only wanting to get back on track.

"Well, we want to give as complete an overview as possible."

Another parent chimes in, I recognize her as Louise's mother, "Yes but will he be included on the Advance Placement test?"

Mr. Medina responds, "Well we can't know exactly what will be on the AP test, but it will definitely be important for future studies when your kids hit their universities."

The dad from before jumps back into the questioning, "But to get there, they need to pass the AP test."

More parents nod in agreement, paying attention to the next line of questioning. I, to admit only to myself, am one of them. Just like the majority of the parents in this room, I only want the best for Alice and that means having information to help her get ahead. 

To try and placate the situation, Mr. Medina answers, "Right, well it's all important and it could all be on the test."

At this another parent jumps in, not satisfied with the response. "How do we find out?"

"Well you can bribe somebody on the AP committee," he jokes before realizing the parents think he's serious, "I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding."

Some parents lightly laugh it off while others don't find it as funny and you can almost see the cogs turning on how to get that test information. Before the topic can move on the door opens, and in comes Lorelai Gilmore. 

I tune out the conversation as James leans toward me to discuss what we've been told.

"I have a contact on the AP committee, Christopher," he starts, "I could try to get some information for the kids."

"Don't go that far, James."

"Well, I need to make sure the kids are top of the class," he argues.

"They will be," I remind him, "if you are so concerned, see if you can get copies of the older tests for them to practice?"