Chapter Ten

Practice goes as usual, laps and timers and intense training to be the fastest in the state. Sarah and I exit the locker room, bidding teammates goodbye as we walk to her car. The ride to my grandma's home is quiet, with occasional small talk about the upcoming party. A party I'm both excited and terrified for, this could be the thing that either makes me closer to my twin or pushes her so very far away. 

We pull up to the house and I quickly say goodbye and grab the bags out of Sarah's car. I take a deep breath, preparing for the next several hours of planning and society gossip with my grandma. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that she loves having someone to train and can be a little much at points. I love her excitement so I always show up for her, even when my social battery is zero. 

I ring the bell and as I wait for whichever new maid has been hired to let me in, I think of the best way to approach the person who is my, platonic, soulmate. The door swings open before my innocent scheming can spiral out of control.

"Hello, I'm here for Mrs. Gilmore, my grandmother."

The woman smiles warmly, taking the bags out of my arms before speaking, "Mrs. Gilmore is in the sitting room. Can I get you anything?"

"I just need my book bag," I answer, "My duffel can be put with my coat though if that's alright?"

She nods, handing me the bag I need as I trade off with my coat. Before I can thank her, she disappears with the items and I am left to head to the sitting room. 

I enter and the styled head of red hair that I inherited from my grandma is sitting looking through a multitude of books and fabric swatches, a cup of what looks like coffee in her hands. She did not notice me, so I gently put my bag beside the couch. Whatever is in the books she's nose deep in has continued to keep her attention, so I sit next to her and calmly grab the book from my grandma. 

"Is a book really more enjoyable than my company, Grandma?" I laugh, laying the book on my lap.

"Never, my dear." She smiles, before standing up, "Now stand and let me get a good look at you."

I laugh, moving the book and doing as she wishes. "Shall I do a spin too?"

She sends me a look before responding, "You might as well, you're growing up too fast and I need to commit you to memory."

My laughter increases, and I attempt to compose myself before doing a slow spin. At the end of my spin, I bend at the waist into a deep curtsey.

"A nice touch, Alice." A voice interrupts the moment between the women in the sitting room. 

My eyes light up as I turn to spot my grandpa, I hurriedly head to where he stands, an old book in his hands. He opens his arms as I approach, which quickens my steps as I am immediately engulfed in his arms. 

"Well hello to you too, Alice."

I grin, my face buried into his chest as we squeeze each other in a hug, "Hi, Grandpa. How was work today?"

"It went as usual, my dear." He says, parting from our hug. I go to ask more questions when Grandma immediately interrupts.

"Now Richard, she just got here," the playful scowl pointed in his direction, "don't go stealing her away yet."

"I can stay for dinner if you'll have me?" I speak up, both grandparents settling their gazes on me. "I'll just call Mom and Dad so they know I'm here longer."

"We'd be delighted for you to stay, I'll tell the maid. And invite your parents, I haven't seen them in what feels like forever." Grandma smiles, already heading into the dining room before I can answer.