Chapter Six

Finally, after the test and our classes pass us by, the four of us are able to meet during lunch to discuss what happened this morning.

"Alice, I am still not over what Rory did today," Paris starts, "she really is not cut out for the intensity of this school."

"Probably not," I respond, thinking heavily about how she reacted, "but she wasn't raised like us so her response is entirely normal with her lack of society training."

"Society training? It's more of a decent-person response, she showed her true colors with how she reacted when told no."

"Spoiled much?" Louise chimes in, passing the bag of chips to Maddie for their calorie counting.

"That's the infamous Lorelai Gilmore for you," I say, eating the carrot sticks off of my tray. "From what I understand, she's a devil-may-care and the world-answers-to-me type of person. It's no wonder she raised someone with a similar thinking pattern."

"Okay, on to bigger and better topics. You're sixteenth birthday!" Sarah pipes in as she sits down at the table.

And just like that, the topic of Rory Gilmore disappeared and the immediate discussion of all things party began. 

"The plan is two parties," I start moving my half-finished tray of food, "the first is the obligation party for the adults that my grandparents are hosting this year. The second is the fun party hosted the day after by my parents, who will conveniently slip away so we can enjoy it."

"Which grandparents are hosting this year?" Paris questions, picking at the pasta sitting in front of her. 

"The Gilmores, of course." 

"Does this mean..." Louise started to bring the previous subject of conversation into the current discussion.

"Don't even try to jinx it," I mutter, "it's probable but shouldn't be too terrible if so."

"So for the Saturday party, what are the odds your parents flip if the punch is suddenly a little spiked?" Tristan asks, grabbing the bag of chips off my lunch tray.

"Highly possible, Tristan," Paris says, glaring at the blond boy.

The bell rings signaling the end of the lunch period, meaning we all head our separate ways. 

------

  After cross-country practice

"So, are you going to tell me how you're really feeling about this whole Rory situation?" Sarah asks as we're heading to her car.

"Do I have to?"

She rolls her eyes as she climbs into the driver's seat of her car. I follow her lead as I gracefully flop into the passenger seat with a huff.

"I'm just so frustrated about everything."

"Call home to let your parents know you'll be running late."

"Fine," I grumble, quickly calling home and letting Dad know that Sarah has decided to kidnap for an hour, two maximum.

"Now buckle up, we're headed to Electric Brew and you can spill your guts while eating chocolate croissants." (A.N. I can't remember the name of the coffee shop Lorelai talks about with Max)

I do as told and we are quickly headed over to our favorite coffee shop for the afternoon. It takes only 5 minutes before we're parallel parking next to the shop. 

"I want you to know I hate you," I grumble again, exiting the car while swinging my backpack over my right shoulder. 

"Mhm," she says, laughing lightly, "tell me that after you've had your first warmed croissant."

I elect to ignore her response,  walking into the cafe and holding the door for her behind me. 

"Hello girls," our usual barista, Emmaline, greets "Are we getting our usuals this afternoon?"

"Sure thing, Em!" Sarah responds with a massive grin.

"Go sit at your regular table and I'll get it to you soon."

Sarah grabs my elbow to steer me to our table, she slides quickly into her seat while dropping her bag loudly on the floor next to her. I gently sit down, setting my bag in the seat next to me, looking across the table is Sarah with her elbows on the table and her chin cradled into her hands. She enjoys this way too much.

"Alright, let's begin." 

"I'm just frustrated, Sarah." I sigh, "I want to know her, but she has no idea that I exist."

"Wait, she doesn't know about you at all?"

"No, Lorelai refuses to tell her or acknowledge my existence," I seethe, "she won't let Dad mention it either."

She starts to respond when Emmaline comes over with our food and drinks. "Here you are, girls! Hot chocolate and warmed chocolate croissant for you, Alice. And a warmed almond croissant and a caramel macchiato, Sarah."

"Thanks, Em." Sarah smiles softly, a light blush crawling up her neck. I raise my eyebrow at her reaction, quickly thanking Emmaline as well, watching as Sarah's blush turns a deeper shade of red. 

"Going to explain?" I tease, giggling as she becomes flustered. 

"No," she murmurs, "today is about you, we can avoid this conversation until you conveniently forget."

I continue laughing, "Fine, but we will talk about this soon."

We go back to the conversation at hand, neither of us seeing the dark-haired woman sitting at the counter sneaking glances at the two giggling high school students. 

"Listen, it comes down to I want to know Rory and help her adjust to society life. But I also feel like I should hate her and let her suffer just to let Lorelai realize she made a mistake by cutting out Dad and I."

"Ali, I mean it when I tell you that you need to ignore Lorelai. If you want to be friends with Rory, then you should do it. If Rory is anything like you with how understanding you can be, then whenever the truth comes out about you being sisters, she won't take it out on you." 

"I don't know, Sarah. What if she and I become really good friends and then whenever she learns that we're related, she turns her back on me and never forgives me?" I can sense that I'm headed into a spiral of "what ifs" but I can't stop myself. 

"It'll be okay, you have all of us."

A. N. Sorry it took so long for me to update. Work has been absolute insanity and I've been struggling with writer's block. I'm hoping to get another chapter out over the weekend. Fingers crossed I have some time between work and family.

ALSO THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE SUPPORT. I APPRECIATE EVERY ONE OF YOU.