15:00

Spanish Grand Prix 2023

"How was your birthday? I'm sorry I didn't make it," Amanda says as we walk through the paddock of the Spanish Grand Prix.

"It was good," I lie, trying not to reminisce on it, the thoughts of Sunday night already making me upset if I think about it for too long.

After leaving Charles apartment, Lewis escorted me back to his where I stayed for two nights, he was a good friend, nothing more, nothing less.

Dee had arrived the morning after like we had expected, shocked at how my birthday turned out.

"So it was a bet?" she looked between Lewis and I as we sat on the loungers outside, taking in the last of the Monaco sun before heading off to Spain.

"Pretty much," I shrugged my shoulders, Lewis giving me another sympathetic look, "what an asshole, if it makes you feel any better I saw a news article from last night about Charlotte leaving the apartment looking rather upset." she says.

"I don't have anything against Charlotte, not at all, I mean if this is her bracelet then I want to give it back to her," I said looking at my wrist at the Van Cleef chain, playing with the clasp.

"Why don't you just take it off now?" Dee had asked me and I shrugged, "I don't know, it meant something and it still does," I said mumbling.

"Ah fuck," I say, looking down at my white Ferrari shirt that was now turning a red colour from my Powerade. Amanda instantly passes me some tissues from her bag, beginning to try and wipe away at the stain.

"Good morning Madeline - oh crap," Lewis's voice passes me, he begins taking off his jacket and passing it to me, "here take this," he says, handing it to me.

"Thank you Lewis," I smile at him, slipping my arms into it and zipping it up, covering the stain.

"Remind me not to wear white on race days," I say to Amanda as we being the walk through the paddock again, she nods in agreement.

"Hey Madeline, you left one of your bags at mine, I'll have Angela take it to your hotel," he smiles and I thank him before he turns into the Mercedes garage.

"Getting cozy with Lewis?" Amanda teases and I push her away gently laughing, "No way, he's just a good friend." I say in response. 

The paddock in Spain was almost like a shopping centre, with proper glass team buildings that stayed here all year round and way more FIA officials than Monaco. 

"Amanda do you have any tablets, I'm starting to get the worse headache," I groan, pinching the bridge of my nose, beginning to stress about the up and coming race weekend.

She passes me a sheet of tablets and I swig a mouthful of Powerade before tilting my head and swallowing the tablet as we continued walking to the Ferrari garage.

"Madeline Scott," I hear from behind me, turning I see Toto Wolf stalking towards us, a crowd of people surrounding him and cameras.

"Good morning Mr Wolf," I say politely, he stretches his hand out to shake and I take it with a firm grip.

"Nice to see you representing the Mercedes garage, thinking about your seat next year?" he asks me smirking, I laugh, "We'll have to see, what's your offer?" I joke back, making the crowd around him laugh but his face was flat, "oh you're serious?"

"Lewis is maybe retiring this year, there may be an open position for you next season if you keep up the good work you've been producing." he says quietly, only in ear shot for Amanda and I to hear.

"We only host winners on our team, and you young girl, are a winner," he winks at me before turning and heading back to the Mercedes garage, his swarm of people following him.