38:00

"Alright, I think we know why we're all here," Vasseur says as we all begin seating at the table in the Ferrari hub in Las Vegas.

The past 4 races, Carlos and I had alternated between driving, with Carlos only getting one podium in Brazil at P3, while I had gotten P2 in Qatar and P3 in Mexico.

We didn't have the best of a relationship, Carlos and I, constantly arguing between the two of us while either one of us was driving, making it difficult for the team to work between the two, especially when we both shared Albert as our race coordinator.

We were now in Las Vegas, the second to last race of the 2023 season and the tension was still cutting close as to who was going to have the seat for the following season.

I had made my mind up about Toto's offer and he knew that, but I was yet to discuss with anyone about it, including George and Dee, no one knew what I decided yet.

There were a bunch of Ferrari officials from the head quarters in Italy, people I had never seen before, sitting around the table we were seated at.

Charles had been stale with me all morning, brushing me off when I had asked him if he wanted to go for a run before the meeting this morning.

We had been doing really well up until this morning, even sharing hotel rooms now instead of getting separate ones, the PR relationship being a meer thought in our minds as it felt more real than fake now.

I watch as Charles rounds the table, deciding to sit opposite me instead of next to me, the empty chair I had left vacant for him. Carlos was seated to the left of him and Amanda to the right of me.

Dee comes in and sits down in the chair I had saved for Charles, making me swallow the lump that was starting to form in my throat.

I could see my Dad standing not too far behind me, his reflection in the glassed wall opposite me.

"Today we will be discussing the seat for next season, I'm glad you could all make it," Vasseur continues, standing from his seat at the head of the table.

My hands were sweaty as I played with them on my lap, I had been dreading this meeting for the past few weeks, as it played a big part in my decision with moving to Mercedes.

"As we all know we had Madeline fill in on reserve for Carlos during his injury, however in that time it has been clear that she has made excellent progress with the team." He states, pointing to a few race stats that were being broadcasted on the whiteboard behind him.

It felt like I was in the headteachers office in school for being told off, I couldn't sit still, I brushed my feet back and fourth on the carpet, hoping this would be over and done with quickly.

I felt like I was going to be sick as Vasseur went on about my stats this season, then going on to compare them to Carlos's and his previous seasons with the team.

Charles refused to look at me the entire time, frustrating me as right now was when I needed him most, he knew this was going to be a make or break deal for me.

I try to reach my foot out under the table to grab his attention, but he just glares at me, diverting his attention back to Vasseur, leaving me more worried.

"Carlos has been a valuable driver for the team for a few years now, and has show great progression with us over the years, which is why it has made it difficult to come to a decision." Vasseur concurs, clasping his hands together as he comes to stand back directly at the head of the table.

I look to my dad behind me for some reassurance, he gives me a smile, squeezing my shoulder gently as I look back as Vasseur, who was looking between Carlos and I.