~ a disaster date? ~

Life after marriage had been crazy busy for them both. They had thought they'd be living their best lives together - and they were - but a few weeks down the road, as they finally went back to their routines, they kept seeing each other much less often than they would've liked to. Farjaad had heaps of work waiting for him post his break, and Umeed too, had to catch up on hers in her comparatively newer job, along with adjusting in the new house. These days they were all about long working hours, traffic jams and being exhausted over work. 

They still took out time for each other though. No matter how busy or tired they were, Umeed and Farjaad would sit in the backyard with their chai or coffee every night. No phones, no distractions were allowed. It was their own time, where they would catch up with the other's day, talk about their feelings and just generally talk about anything and everything. 

It was in the middle of one of those sessions. Umeed had her head rested on Farjaad's shoulder, staring up at the sky. The cool January breeze making her hair fly in all different directions. 

"Farjaad"

"Hmm?"

"Kya humari zindagi hamesha aisay hi chalti rahay gi?"

"Aisay kesay?"

"Bas yehi, roz subah utho, kaam pe jaao, shaam mein thakay haaray aao, phir agaly din ki tayayri karo. Aisa to nahi socha tha mene."

She whined at which Farjaad let out a chuckle. 

"Kya socha tha aap ne phir?"

"Yehi ke excitement ho gi zindagi mein thori. Aap aur mein saath buhat saara waqt guzarein gay, ghooma phira karein gay, dinner pe jayein gay, movies pe jayein gay. Ye har din aik sa ho ga aur hum aik doosray ko bas kuch ghentay dekhein gay, ye to nahi socha tha at least."

"Umeed, mene tumhein kaha tha na, zindagi fairytale jesi nahi hoti. Zindagi mein insaan ko kaam karna hota hai, masroof rehna hota hai. Ye jo sab tum keh rahi ho, ye to movies mein hota hai, ideal dunya mein."

"Zindagi fairytale na ho, par at least is tarah boring bhi na ho...."

She trailed off. Farjaad turned around to look at her intently. 

"Tum bore hoti ho mere saath?"

Even saying that out loud was hurtful for him. That was his biggest fear when it came to Umeed all along. He didn't think he was good enough for her. Him and his routine could never match Umeed's energy and spark for life. He always feared he would dull her sparkle too. Even the thought of that was hurting him. 

"Mein aap ne saath bore nahi hoti Farjaad, aap ke saath na ho ke bore hoti hoon. Mein chahti hoon ke hum zyada waqt saath guzara karein. Jab aap nahi hotay, mein tab bore hoti hoon."

Farjaad let go of a breath he didn't even realise he was holding. His presence wasn't the issue. He smiled brightly, holding Umeed's hand in his and giving it a tight squeeze. 

"I'm sorry Umeed, bas wo kaam itna pile up ho gaya pichlay kuch din mein ke bilkul koi hosh hi nahi raha kisi aur cheez ka. Warna tumharay saath waqt guzarnay se zyada mujhe bhi kuch acha nahi lagta."

Umeed sighed.

"Mujhe pata hai, aur mujhe aap se koi shikayat bhi nahi hai. Jaanti hoon aap ko kaam hein, mein to bas aisay hi keh rahi thi. Khair chorein, aap ko pata hai...." 

And then she went off to narrate a story about something that happed at work. Farjaad's mind wasn't entirely focused there though. He was thinking of something else. 

~

She threw her bag on the sofa and dropped herself on the bed. It was finally weekend. It had been a long week and she couldn't wait to sleep her way through the upcoming two days. Farjaad still wasn't back. He had told her already that he will be coming late today. She didn't really bother with it though. It was usual.