~ one ring is all it takes ~

"Ughhh yahan bhi nahi hai"

Umeed mumbled out of annoyance as she disheveled yet another drawer of the dresser. Farjaad, who had for the past thirty minutes, been observing her almost quietly, finally gave up and walked up to her. 

"Kya gumm ho gaya hai Umeed? Mujhe batao, shayad mene dekha ho?"

Umeed stopped her rummaging momentarily and looked up at him with all seriousness, mentally questioning whether she should tell him or not. 

'Nahi, Farjaad ko buhat dukh ho ga agar unhein pata chala'  her brain concluded. 

"Nahi, kuch nahi, aap ko nahi pata. Wo aik necklace tha, shayad Pasha house reh gaya hai. Haya se pooch loon gi kal kar ke. Chalein? Dair ho rahi hai."

Farjaad didn't miss how she avoided meeting his gaze as she picked up her purse and ran out. He also did not miss her continuously fumbling with her hands throughout breakfast and the car ride. The silence in the car was piercing. Something was really wrong. 

Umeed couldn't help run her fingers over her naked ring finger. The absence of that one ring felt very heavy. It almost felt like a part of her skin was missing. She wanted to cry, but she also did not want Farjaad finding out. As she silently ran her thumb over her left ring finger, her mind drifted off to their wedding night.

After an overdramatic moment of Farjaad teasing Umeed about how 'normal brides' usually sit and wait for their husbands with their lehnga spread across the bed and not by 'accidently' breaking a decoration piece in an attempt to observe it, Umeed had sat herself down in the middle of the bed and spread her dupatta as a ghoongat over her face. 

"Ye lein, khush hein ab aap? Ab lag rahi hoon mein riwayati biwi?"

"Haan kuch zyada hi riwayati lag rahi ho, aur qasam se buhat ajeeb lag rahi ho. Ye ghoongat to hatao!"

He tried to lean forward and take the ghoongat off but Umeed smacked his hand away. 

"Buhat shauq tha aap ko typical biwi dekhnay ka. Ab aap jayein, dobara andar aayein, aik typical shohar ki tarah, sarra hua munn bana ke."

Farjaad laughed out at this. 

"Shaadi ki raat kon sarra hua munn bana ke aata hai?"

"Typical shohar. Ab jayein naaa!"

"Umeed, are you serious?"

"Kya meri shakal se lag raha hai mein mazaaq kar rahi hoon?"

"Pata nahi, I can't tell, shakal nazar nahi aa rahi"

"Uff Farjaad, jayeinn, aur jab tak mein na kahoon, andar na aaiye ga"

Farjaad groaned but did what he was told. Umeed laughed at his reaction and fixed her lenhnga spreading it out in a perfect circle all around her, taking up all the space on the king sized bed. Getting irritated by the net over her face, she quickly threw it back. Yeah, the ghoongat had to go. Fixing her dupatta back over her head, she sat up straight with a poker face. 

Farjaad lightly knocked on the door.

"Umeed, kaafi time ho gaya hai. Ab aa jaaon?"

"Aa jayein"

Farjaad gently opened the door, peeking in to see Umeed looking down, acting like a 'typical' bride, refusing to meet his gaze. Holding his laughter, he locked the door behind him and walked towards the bed.