1. 𝘝𝘦𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘢 𝘞𝘪𝘵𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘴 𝘢 𝘒𝘪𝘥𝘯𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏: 𝐕𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐚 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐚 𝐊𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠

December 14, 2007

THE FATES HATED VERONICA SAWYER.

They had to. She was born to suffer for their amusement. There was literally no other explanation for how she'd end up here.

She was sitting in front of a military school in the dead of winter, freezing her ass off at the end of a blizzard, all because she felt like she had to impress her father.

A meeting with a new potential foster mother had gone exceptionally well, although Chiron said they'd have to do a more thorough background check before Veronica's father Dionysus let her out of the camp for good. And then to prove that she was capable of surviving outside of camp after a year and a half, her father decided to send her on a retrieval quest with some other half-bloods, including the infamous Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon.

Veronica didn't really know many people at camp. She'd formed her small group of friends, of course, but she mostly kept to herself. To most campers, she was... odd, to say the least. But to be among Percy Jackson's tight-knit group of people for a little while was a small plus to the absolute insanity that was her life.

A car pulled up behind her, the headlights noticeably not on as they approached the school. That must've been her teammates. The door opened, and out stepped Percy and his friends Annabeth Chase and Thalia, daughters of Athena and Zeus respectively.

"Are you sure you don't want me to wait?" a woman with a motherly voice called, worry presumably written on her face. Veronica could only make out her tense posture from where she stood.

"No, thanks, Mom," Percy replied. "I don't know how long it will take. We'll be okay."

"But how will you get back?" she asked. "I'm worried, Percy."

"It's okay, Ms. Jackson." Annabeth assured her. "We'll keep him out of trouble."

If her slightly more relaxed posture was anything to go by, Ms. Jackson was very happy to hear those words.

"All right, dears," she said. "Do you have everything you need?"

"Yes, Ms. Jackson," Thalia said. "Thanks for the ride."

"Extra sweaters? You have my cell phone number?"

"Mom—" Percy cut her off.

"Your ambrosia and nectar, Percy?" she continued. "And a golden drachma in case you need to contact camp?"

"Mom, seriously!" the green-eyed boy snapped. "We'll be fine. Come on, guys."

Since she was so far away, Veronica couldn't really see Ms. Jackson's expression. But she imagined she must've looked a little hurt. She sounded so sweet, so Percy's random outburst must've been something that caught her off guard.