6. 𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘋𝘢𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘦, 𝘏𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳?

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔:𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐃𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐞, 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫?

December 16, 2007

"GOING ON QUESTS SOUNDS FUN!"

Veronica would've loved nothing more than to agree with Nico, but in all honesty, she wasn't sure herself. The glory that came with the quests seemed fun, but the quest itself, maybe not so much. Especially since people were prophesied to die on this go round.

The dark-haired girl tried to figure out how to reply as she packed her bags. She didn't have the heart to actually tell Nico just how damaging this quest could be. No matter what good they would apparently bring her, there was going to be a downside.

"Sometimes," she settled on saying as she threw her hair care pouch into the bag. "They can be really dangerous, though. Percy's been on two, so maybe you can ask him later."

"I bet this one will be loads of fun!" Nico cheered, swinging his legs as he sat in the chair beside Veronica's bed.

She ruffled his hair, zipping her bag shut. "We'll see," she said.

"Sucks that the Hunters won't let any boys come. I want to go on a quest."

"No, you don't," Veronica said, scanning the room to make sure she didn't leave anything behind. "Wait a little while and then you can choose to go when you're older."

"Like you did?" Nico asked.

Veronica made a noise that was half-laugh, half-scoff. "I did not choose to go on a quest. My dad forced me."

Nico frowned. "He made you go on a quest even though you didn't want to?" he asked.

"Yep," Veronica said. "Yelled and everything. Said I had to do it and had no choice."

Nico gave her a sad look. "That sucks," he muttered. Moments later, he seemed happy again, cheering up and smiling at her. "But at least you get to go get some experience now!"

Veronica sighed. "I'm gonna need a therapist at this rate."

"Your dad seriously needs to get a therapist, and maybe whatever this 'McDonald's' thing is, too," Nico said, grabbing a coupon Veronica had on her nightstand. "It looks really good!"

"It is really good," Veronica said softly. She zipped it back up, turning to Nico. "And gods don't do therapy."

He seemed confused by her comment. "Well, they probably should," he said. "Then all their kids wouldn't be stressed out because they wouldn't be stressed out."

She raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yep!" Nico replied.

Veronica hummed thoughtfully. "Well, that does make sense," she agreed. "You're a smart kid. Now stay out of trouble while your sister and I are gone."