7. 𝘋𝘰 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘌𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘍𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘓𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘠𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘓𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘔𝘪𝘯𝘥?

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕: 𝐃𝐨 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐝?

June 13, 2008

VERONICA HAD GONE STRAIGHT TO CAMP TO DO ONE THING: DELIVER HEPHAESTUS' SUPPLIES TO DOMINIC.

"Yo, Nick, you've got an order," Evie called when Veronica dropped the package by his workstation.

The boy looked up from his latest experiment, lifting his goggles. "Hey, Ronnie. I got here late this summer and I heard you left to go find that Nico kid," he said. "Did you find him?"

Veronica nodded. "He's safe for now," she said. "I'm gonna go back for him later."

"What do you mean?" Dahlia asked, leaning towards Dominic. She leaned her head on his shoulder. "Why are you going back?"

"I had some errands to run for others," Veronica explained. "I couldn't bring him with."

"Errands?" Nick asked.

"Like that package," she said. "It's from your dad, Nick."

He looked at the box, carefully packaged and made as if it'd been shipped to him. "Huh," he mused. "Wonder what it is-wait, my dad?"

"Met him in the Labyrinth," Veronica said simply. "Went kind of piss-poorly. He's chill, I guess. Better than some other gods. Apparently, he called me Jasmine at some point. I didn't notice."

"Weird," Evie said, shaking her head. "Chase is gone on a mini-errand for Quintus, by the way. But I think he said 'fuck this' and went home."

They all laughed and Nick opened his package from his dad. Inside was some kind of silver wires and celestial bronze scraps. He lifted a sheet of paper labeled HOW TO REVERSE ENGINEER and squinted. "What the fuck is this shit?" he questioned, laying it on the table.

"It looks like instructions," Dahlia said. "I don't know. Ask your old man."

"Ha ha," Nick said sarcastically. "Whatever. I'll figure it out."

"Let me know when you do," Veronica said. "In the meantime, I'm gonna go visit someone."

♛⸻𖥸⸻♛

ANNABETH KNEW SHE WAS BEING UNREASONABLE IN HER JEALOUSY.

But Veronica Sawyer was... competition, in a way.

She'd never really been a loner, despite what she'd say, but for as long as Annabeth could remember, Dionysus' daughter had been a bit anti-social. She had a close group of friends, sure, but they'd known her for a while before becoming her friends. And yet, Percy joined that group after one quest?