3. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘏𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘩 𝘔𝘢𝘻𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘔𝘢𝘥𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐌𝐚𝐳𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐚𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

June 4, 2008

"AND TO THINK MY DAUGHTER DELIVERED THE MISTRESS OF CHAOS AND NEGLECTED TO TELL ME."

Veronica turned around, blinking as she tried to grasp an understanding of where she was. "What the hell?"

The dark room was filled with mist, curling around the woman and Veronica. The daughter of Dionysus stared at the woman, scrutinizing her with silent questions.

"Marjorie was one of my greatest prides," the woman before her said, a hat hiding her entire face except for her red painted lips. "And now she has made me prouder by being the one to mother the Mistress of Chaos."

"Mother is a strong word," Veronica responded snippily. "Highly debatable."

The woman's mouth quirked. "You have my temper," she said. "Magic is a fickle thing, and does not do well to be controlled by anything. You have to tame it, Veronica."

Veronica's eyes widened with realization. "Hecate."

The goddess nodded. "Indeed. And it seems you are the daughter of my daughter. Blood of her blood and—"

"What do you want?" Veronica demanded. "I'm flattered you decided to show up and all, but why?"

The goddess looked affronted, or at least, her moth pulled into a tight frown. "Why?" she repeated. "Because you are a Mistress of Chaos."

"And you're interested in me for that?"

"Of course," Hecate said. "I want to know if you're worth investing time into. Whether I should bother to recruit you for the Titan lord."

Veronica froze. "No. That's it. That's final. I'm not doing that."

Hecate looked up, and Veronica could see her piercing eyes narrow. "Think about what you're throwing away. I could teach you, Veronica. I could have you be my protégé, let you learn magic from me."

"I'll learn on my own," Veronica said. "Maybe I would've accepted your offer before, but you lost me at 'Titan lord' or whatever. So no thanks."

Hecate's eyes widened briefly, then narrowed sharply. She didn't say much to give away her offense taken, but she nodded seriously. "You will regret this, Veronica. When your magic is unhelpful and you prove to be the failure that your mother thought you to be before she placed you in Dionysus' arms and left, remember this."

A sharp gust of wind blew around Veronica, and then her eyes were open and she was laying in bed peacefully in her cabin. She checked the time. 4:37.

With a sigh, she buried her face in her hand and groaned. "I hate those guys," she grumbled, the goddess in her mind leaving it hectic.