4. 𝘎𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘴 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘔𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘺 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒: 𝐆𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐌𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐲 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭

December 16, 2007

THE ORACLE WAS THE ONLY PLACE PERCY COULD'VE TURNED TO FOR GUIDANCE NOW.

And yet, it hadn't been useful in the slightest. He'd gone to it seeking help—last night, he'd dreamed of Annabeth being taken prisoner by Luke and forced to hold some giant ceiling. He'd relayed this dream to Grover, who'd managed to learn (albeit creepily) that Zoë had a dream about Artemis that she insisted had to be acted on immediately. Figuring that there was something connecting those two dreams, Percy had run to the Big House and climbed the stairs to the attic.

He'd done this before—his first quest two summers ago, where he'd gone to the Underworld to find Zeus' master lightning bolt. The experience still gave him nightmares.

Regardless, he opened the trap door and stepped into the attic. It was as dusty and cluttered as he remembered it being, random items from quests strewn about. Percy could see shields with monster bites out of them, swords bent in the shapes of daemon heads, and a bunch of taxidermy, like a stuffed harpy and a bright orange python. And over by the window, sitting on a three-legged stool like always, was the shriveled-up mummy of an old lady in a tie-dye dress.

The Oracle.

With heavy reluctance, Percy forced himself to approach her and wait for the green mist to billow from the mummy's mouth. When nothing happened, he awkwardly said, "Hi. Uh, what's up?"

Its cold presence was in the room, so at least he knew it was there. "I have a question," he announced, speaking a little louder. "I need to know about Annabeth. How can I save her?"

The Oracle was silent. The sun slanted through the dirty attic window, lighting the dust motes dancing in the air. As he waited longer, Percy started to get angrier. Was he seriously being ignored by a half sentient corpse?

"All right," he said bitterly. "Fine. I'll figure it out myself."

He turned and shoved past a big table full of souvenirs, and a loud shriek made him turn in surprise at the sudden other presence he now noticed.

Veronica was standing behind a bunch of stuff, or at least, she had been, before Percy knocked it all over. She wore a bright yellow hoodie today, which was different from her usual—at least as far as Percy could tell. Her unnaturally purple eyes were wide, like Percy had caught her off guard. "What the hell are you doing here?" she demanded, putting her hands on her hips.

"I could ask you the same question," Percy snapped.

"I asked you first!" she shot back.

What was she, a five year old? Either way, Percy sighed and answered her. "I came here to see the Oracle for answers about a dream I had last night. Now why are you visiting it?"