6. 𝘈 𝘉𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘍𝘭𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘚𝘵𝘶𝘱𝘪𝘥 𝘎𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔: 𝐀 𝐁𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐩𝐢𝐝 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬

LABYRINTH DAY 2

"WHAT WAS THAT?"

Veronica turned around at the sound of the voice. Percy was at the door in the guest room, awkwardly fidgeting with his clothes.

"What was what?" she replied, turning back to the bedsheets.

"The whole summoning thing," Percy said. "How'd you do that?"

She laughed softly. "Legacy of Hecate, remember?" she asked. "Goddess of ghosts and necromancy?"

"No, I know..." Percy murmured. "I meant... what's the Haunting Hour? You never answered that earlier."

Veronica hummed. "To be honest, I don't know, either," she said. "The voi—"

She cut herself off. The voices in my head say that it will help me until I learn to control Chaos was not a good response now that she was thinking it again.

"What?" Percy asked. "What is it?"

"My birth mom's spellbook says it helps," she decided on.

Percy nodded, looking down. "Okay... and speaking of moms, how's Tina?"

"She's not my mom," Veronica corrected. "She's just... looking after me. I'm just a kid she's taking care of."

"Same," Percy said. "I'm just a kid that Sally Jackson takes care of... oh, wait, that sounds like she's my mom."

Veronica rolled her eyes. "Haha, so funny," she said sarcastically. "That's different. She's raised you. Tina is just taking care of me."

"And that's different?" Percy asked.

Yes," Veronica sighed, turning to her book and sitting on the bed. "That's different."

Percy seemed to sense that she was speaking with finality, awkwardly clearing his throat. "Oh... well, I, uh... sorry."

"It's okay," Veronica shrugged. "Don't think too much of it, okay?"

Percy nodded. "Can I come in?" he asked.

Veronica nodded and he entered, sitting beside her on the bed. "How are you feeling?" he asked. "After all of... well, today?"

"I don't know," Veronica sighed. "I found Nico, which was what I wanted, but he doesn't seem too keen on coming with me."

"Well, you're persuasive," Percy said. "Maybe you can just talk to him."

She shook her head, looking at the Hades statue she'd sat on the bedside table. "No. He's stubborn. You saw how he argued even when Bianca herself said he couldn't bring her back."