2. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘉𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘏𝘰𝘭𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘒𝘦𝘺

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐞𝐲

June 3, 2008

VERONICA WOKE UP WITH A SPLITTING HEADACHE THAT KEPT NAGGING AND PULLING ON HER.

"Gods, this sucks," she groaned, falling from the bed and clutching her head. "Fuck!"

"Veronica?" Valentina Bailey's voice called, peering inside the room. "Hey, you doing okay?"

"Y-yeah!" Veronica lied, shrugging it off. "Just a bad headache. I'll grab some ibuprofen from the cabinet or something."

"Let me get it for you," Tina offered, slipping away as Veronica grabbed the edge of the bed, shakily standing up. Moments later, she had a glass of water and a bottle of ibuprofen in her hands, offering them to Veronica with a concerned smile.

"Thanks," Veronica said stiffly, taking the offered items. "This hurts like a bitch."

Tina nodded, slowly moving to take Veronica's face in her hands and kiss the top. Veronica had been appreciative of the fact that Tina wasn't strict with language, mostly because she'd been a pottymouth herself her whole life. Her lack of strictness helped Veronica ease in better, but she was still waiting for the day Tina would snap into the role of "strict mother."

For now, though, she was happy to smile at Tina until she left, lifting her head back to take the pills with the water.

The next ten minutes passed by slow as she waited for the effects to kick in, doing their job to make her feel better. And eventually, they did. For like, five seconds, anyways.

Veronica?

Veronica.

Veronica!

She nearly crashed into her closet door as she slid to the ground, fighting the urge to scream. It felt like her head was tearing itself apart, splitting open and breaking into tiny pieces. If she could, she would've pulled a Zeus and literally cut her head open to see what was going on. But unfortunately, she was still capable of death.

She gasped, struggling to breathe as the headache finally subsided.

Sorry!

My bad.

She still can't see us...

What the hell?

She turned around wildly, trying to pinpoint the location of the voices. All distinct and different, one strong, one soft, one stone cold. When she realized there was no one else there, she ran her hands through her braids, struggling to get her shaky breaths out. Where the hell had those voices been coming from?