three - mr. clarke's mustache

Monday, July 1, 1985

You were listening to the recording in the back room of Scoops Ahoy, Robin leaning against the open window to the counter and browsing through the Russian dictionary, when the customer bell rang. Again. And again. And again.

"Excuse me?" A familiar voice reached your ears as Robin rolled her eyes and sighed.

You pause the recording and stand up to peek through the window, seeing Robin was about to serve none other than Erica Sinclair and her friends.

"I'd like to try the peanut butter chocolate swirl, please," the girl grinned wickedly, sending shivers down your spine. Erica was a terrifying customer.

"No," Robin says, making you gasp. "No more samples today."

"Why not?"

"Because you're abusing our company policy."

"Where's the sailor ma- (Y/n)?" She finally notices you, and you wave with a wink.

"Hi, Erica."

"What are you doing here?"

I'm cracking a Russian code.

"I came to visit my brother, the sailor man, and my good friend Robin," you make finger guns at the latter, who plays along and returns them. This makes you feel accomplished.

"Sailor man is your brother?"

"Yeah, Steve. You didn't read his little badge? It's red and boxy and-"

"I know what a badge is," she rolls her eyes. You smile politely and nod. "So where is he?"

"Sorry, he can't help you," Robin intervenes. "He's busy."

"Busy with what?"

"Spycraft," she answers. Erica shakes her head and walks away, followed by her friends who didn't say a word. Robin turns back to you with a smirk, which you return, and you both chuckle before going back to work.

Meanwhile, Steve and Dustin were searching for evil Russians in the entirety of Starcourt Mall. You hoped they would be discreet, but judging by the binoculars Dustin had brought with him, you could only guess their behavior would be more than suspicious.

"By the way, you go to Hawkins High, right?" Robin asks as the record ends once again, wanting to take a small break from translating and maybe get to know you better.

"Yeah. You do too. I think I've seen you play in band a few times. What instrument do you play?"

"Trumpet."

"Cool. Yeah, I've seen you around."

"So did I," she chuckles as if it was obvious.

"What?"

"Well, you did beat a guy up with a tray in the middle of a cafeteria filled with people. I was there."

"Oh," you say, a smile growing on your face. "It was one of my good days."

"I don't wanna see you on bad ones then."

"It's really, really bad. Steve can testify."

"But, hey, the guy you beat up was an asshole. You probably know that though."

"Yeah. He slapped my friend's ass and tried to spike her drink."

"Oh, wow. Shit. That's wild."

"I've seen worse," you shrug. Robin raises an eyebrow interested. "Like Steve's hair in the morning. Before he styles it with all that Farrah Fawcett hairspray."