eighteen - dO yOu CopY?!

Thursday, July 4, 1985

"A Demogorgon that likes flowers," Robin says as Steve takes a left turn. A song was playing on the radio, Erica was resting her head on your shoulder and Dustin's leg was bouncing. Time seemed to have slowed down, and despite the fact that the hill wasn't that far, you were bored and trying to stay entertained not to fall asleep, something you terribly missed.

"Demogardener," you answer with a yawn.

"A ballerina Demogorgon," Erica proposes.

"Demograceful."

"A female Demogorgon," Dustin then says.

"Demogirl. Duh."

"But what kind of Demogorgon are you?" Robin philosophizes. You nod your head pensively.

"A Demograndiose, obviously."

"Don't think so highly of yourself," Erica clicks her tongue. You glare down at her.

"You're being Demogloomy."

"For fuck's sake," Steve mumbles.

"What am I then?" Dustin asks expectantly.

"A Demogenius."

"Oh, oh, oh. She's good at this."

"You're just saying that because she complimented you," Erica argues.

"Okay, okay," Robin clasps her hands together. "What about me?"

"I haven't known you for a while, but I'd say you're Demogreat for now."

"You flatter me," she smiles, and Erica rolls her eyes, still bitter over her nickname. Silence settles in the car, silence during which you all intensely stare at Steve, who nervously taps his fingers on the wheel before breaking.

"Fine! What Demogorgon am I?"

You see him brace himself for the slander in the inner rear mirror and decide to go soft on him. After all, he had probably just had the worst night of his life. You give him a smile you want to be kind, but just seems menacing.

"You're... Demogorgeous."

He opens his mouth to retaliate, already offended, before realizing you weren't being mean and blinking in shock. Meanwhile, Erica, Robin and you cringe at your words.

Steve scoffs, embarrassed, and focuses back on the road with a faint smile before frowning again.

"Which way do I go?"

"Right," Dustin indicates.

___

Kazuo was ready to get in Nancy's car and drive off to Illinois, away from all the drama, hence him enthusiastically jumping into the back seat. Hopper, Joyce and Murray were on their way to the Russian elevator, you were relatively safe on your hill, and they were about to leave. Worrisome situation, but not as much as last year.

But when Nancy turns the keys to start the engine, it sputters before dying down. Kazuo sighs and bangs his head on the window softly.

"What's wrong?" Jonathan asks.

"I don't..." Nancy shakes her head confusedly, and tries again, in vain. "I don't know. You can't be serious! Come on!"

"Didn't your mom just buy this car?" Lucas asks.

"Yes. I'm sure it's fine."

"Did you leave the lights on?" Will tries to help.

"No."