nineteen - turn around...

Thursday, July 4, 1985

"Go faster," you say, nervously biting your nail as you stick your head in between the two front seats. Right now, and despite considering the youngest of the team you were rescuing were children, all you could think about was Kazuo and how he was so happy to leave the danger behind when you left. Damn it, you should have stayed with them. With him.

"I'm actually doing my best here," Steve grunts, sharply turning the wheel and causing the car to skid in the turn.

"That's your best?"

"I'm sorry, d'you wanna take over?"

"Yes because if I were driving I would go faster!"

"You're scared of shifting to second gear!"

"I've overcome my fear of driving when you were high as fuck in the trunk of my Russian trolley!"

"Sorry I was drugged and beaten up by Russians!"

"Stop saying you're sorry, it wasn't even your fault!"

"Guys!" Robin calls, plunging the car in silence. "Let's not yell at each other right now."

"That's just how we work," you protest, in a much calmer voice. "Right Steve?"

"Yup," he says before taking another sharp turn, and you finally find yourself in the parking lot. To see Billy in a car, charging full speed towards Nancy's, in which Jonathan was trying to start the engine and the others were waiting. In between the two cars, Nancy stood, firing at Billy in hope for him to stop. But it did not seem to be working.

"Holy shit," the three of you say in unison before Steve steps on the accelerator.

"Steve, what are you doing?" Robin asks calmly as you get closer and closer to the other cars.

"(Y/n), do you have your seatbelt on?" He answers with another question.

"Always," you nod, sinking into your seat to brace yourself for the impact.

"Steve," Robin begins panicking as you approach at great speed, "Steve, Steve, Steve, Steve, Steve-"

"Fucking hell," you say before your car hit Billy's, only a few feet away from Nancy. The impact sends the two vehicles spinning, tires screeching against the concrete, but far enough from the others so that nobody is wounded. Except your shoulder, in which the seatbelt digs and cuts the skin. You let out a grunt, looking down at your collarbone that did not seem to be broken. You were lucky you didn't snap your neck.

"(Y/n)," Steve frantically turns around after the eerie feeling of surviving the car crash is chased away by Billy's car catching on fire. He was unconscious. "(Y/n), are you okay?"

"I'm alive," you reassure him. "I think."

"Robin?" He then asks.

"Ask me tomorrow," the girl in the passenger seat sighs. Then, the snarling sound of a creature catches your attention. On the roof of the mall stood the monster Kazuo had graphically described to you, made of flesh and teeth. The shape reminded you of Will's drawing from last year: a giant spider looming over your heads, silhouetted against the black sky. Overall, terrifying. And it was walking towards you. "Oh shit."

A car honks next to you; Jonathan managed to start the engine. Nancy is sitting in the passenger seat, Lucas and Will in the back.

"Get in!" she says, and you happily leave the wrecked car for the functional one, jumping into the trunk with Steve and Robin. As you sit next to the girl and the car starts in a frenzy, you wince when your shoulder is pressed against her. A thin streak of blood was forming on your shirt.