Chapter 3

Tour lady: (narrating) After years of intense training, Y/n had finally organized his first bullfight, which coincidentally fell on the same day that Maria was set to return.

Charles forcefully pulled Y/n inside the house, his frustration evident in his grip.

Charles: Playing all night with those mariachi brothers, do you want to end up like those fools?

With a swift motion, Charles shut the door, effectively blocking Pepe, Pancho, and Pablo outside.

Pepe: Alright, Y/n, we'll wait out here then.

Pancho: I don't think Mr. Sánchez is fond of us.

Pablo: You think, Pancho?

Charles: Quiet down, you lazy bums.

Adding an extra layer of intimidation, Charles tossed one of his swords against the door, causing the mariachi brothers to jump in fear.

Charles: (tossing Y/n's guitar) Yuh live undah mi roof, yuh live by mi rules. Yuh gwine become a matador...

Y/n: But papa, dis nuh mi calling.

Charles: Digging into our family history, from di time wi move from Jamaica to France an' to Mexico, every single Sánchez ave been a bullfighter. It deh inna we blood, we destiny! How many times mi haffi seh dis? Wi family, since we deh Mexico, admire di Mexican culture, so we mek likkle of Mexico part of we Jamaican blood.

Grandma: I was a formidable force in the arena, a true beast!

Charles: See, even your grandmother understands. It's part of who we are.

Y/n: This isn't me, it's you.

Charles: Mi son, Joaquin may get hailed as di hero of di town, but today, yuh ave di opportunity fi become di hero of di bullring, if only yuh can muster di courage fi finish di bull.

Pepe: But he did finish the bull the other day during practice!

A flashback revealed a practice session where lightning struck the bull, leading to an unfinished encounter.

Grandma: That one didn't count.

Y/n: No, killin' di bull, dat nuh right morally.

Charles: Here we go again.

Grandma: Oh, the youngsters today and their aversion to taking lives.

Y/n: I'm leaving.

Y/n took a step toward the exit, ready to defy his father's wishes.

Charles: Don't you love your family?

Y/n halted in his tracks, torn between his own desires and the pressure to fulfill his familial obligations.

Charles: Den go face dat bull, mon fils. Do not bring dishonor pon our name.

Without a word, Y/n handed his father his guitar, symbolizing his inner turmoil, and made his way out of the door.

Charles: Just be a Sánchez.

Grandma: My son, he's not going to do it, is he?

Y/n walked through the bustling hallway, feeling a mix of excitement and nerves coursing through his veins. Suddenly, Joaquin appeared, leaping down with a mischievous grin on his face.

Joaquin: Hey, Y/n! (He jumped forward to embrace his friend) No retreat.

Y/n: No surrender. (He reciprocated the hug) The hero of San Angel returns.

Joaquin: Oh, come on, did you really think I was going to miss your first bullfight? Not a chance, amigo.

Y/n: And guess what? Maria is here too.