Chapter 6

Joaquin proudly shared stories of his heroic feats, showcasing his numerous medals to Maria.

Joaquin: And I received this one for rescuing an orphan from a blazing fire and returning to retrieve their beloved toys. Oh, and let's not forget the time I saved a little puppy with a thorn in its paw. And this medal right here is for having the most medals. Impressive, right?

Maria, feeling a mix of amusement and skepticism, expressed her gratitude for the enlightening conversation.

Maria: Well, here we are. Thank you for this most informative talk about yourself.

Joaquin, eager to impress Maria further, presented her with a picture of himself, autographed with his name.

Maria couldn't help but respond sarcastically, feigning speechlessness.

Maria: Wow, I'm absolutely speechless.

Joaquin, basking in his own charm, took the comment lightly.

Joaquin: Yeah, it happens. I get that a lot.

He leaned in, offering his cheek for a goodnight kiss.

Maria, laughing, bid him farewell.

Maria: Goodnight, Joaquin.

With a satisfied grin, Joaquin watched Maria walk towards her house. However, he couldn't resist a final attempt to sway her decision.

Joaquin: Wait, Maria!

Maria turned back, curious about his sudden interruption.

Maria: Yes?

Joaquin, holding out a bonnet, revealed his sentimental gesture.

Joaquin: Look, I've kept your bonnet all this time. It's been my source of inspiration. Please, at least consider my proposal?

Maria, touched by his gesture, nodded in acknowledgment.

Maria: Goodnight, Joaquin.

She closed the door behind her, leaving Joaquin elated.

Joaquin: Yes! Yes! (He threw a few celebratory punches into the air) Joaquin, you're awesome!

Unbeknownst to Joaquin, Xibalba, the dark ruler, observed the situation from above with a mischievous smile.

Xibalba: Yes! (He vanished into the shadows)

Maria couldn't contain her laughter as she flipped through the picture album, reminiscing about the carefree days of her childhood with Y/n and Joaquin. Their bond was evident in every captured moment, and it brought a warmth to her heart. However, the laughter was interrupted by a sudden noise outside, causing Chuy to growl in annoyance.

Curiosity piqued, Maria approached the window to investigate, and her eyes widened as she saw Y/n standing there.

Y/n: (speaking with heartfelt romance) Maria, meet mi at di bridge at dawn. There's someting important mi need fi tell yuh, someting mi heart been longing fi say.

Maria's expression turned conflicted, knowing that her father's expectations and the duty to protect the town weighed heavily on her.

Y/n: (pleading with heartfelt desperation) Please, Maria. Dis could be our chance fi deh togedda, fi follow we hearts. Mi can't bear di thought of losing yuh to someone like Joaquin.

Maria glanced at Chuy, who seemed to understand the unspoken emotions passing between them. With a determined glint in her eyes, she made her decision.

Maria: Give me a moment.