For several days now...

For several days now, with my family, we have been on our way to the New World.

One evening, the Master of Ceremonies appeared to us in the form of a tornado. It was dusk and my father had just brought in the sheep when a loud noise was heard outside. As we ran outside, not far from our house on the edge of the mesa, we saw a column of air rising from the cliff. The column was so dazzlingly bright that we had to squint to look at it. It seemed to turn rapidly on itself.

And out of it came the word of Sotuknang, loud and impressive. The Master of Ceremonies declared: "I have observed the course of things, and it is not good. There are many evil people. Evil outweighs good. The world is so bad that, in agreement with the Creator, Taiowa, I've decided to destroy it and create a new one so you can start again. We have elected those who practice goodness to found the New World. Rejoice, for you are part of it. Now you must leave to join the other chosen ones. When all are reunited, you will set sail for the New World."

Then the Master of Ceremonies clarified his instructions: "You will go to a certain place. Your kopavi [head gate] will guide you. Thanks to it, you will recognize the sign to follow: by day, it will be a cloud in the shape of a boat; by night, a blue star. Take nothing with you except an obsidian sword for each family and a staff and bow for each man and woman.

Tell no one, or you will no longer be among the chosen. Just follow the sign. When it stops, then you'll know you've arrived at the gathering place."

The tornado disappeared into the light of the setting sun.

Then, in the common room, there was much discussion. Not everyone was in favor of leaving and abandoning everything. I had no opinion, and merely listened to the arguments. Both my grandmothers were firmly opposed to leaving. My father and my mother's father, one of the chiefs of the Parrot clan, were ardently in favor of obeying Sotuknang. My mother begged him to at least go and warn her brothers and sisters. As for me, I didn't dare ask to see my sweet Chosposi one last time.

Everyone stopped talking when, through one of the windows, a previously unknown blue star appeared...

And so, with my family, I, Cha'kwaina, of the Parrot clan, left our home on the 3rd night of the Wuwuchim Moon. We took nothing with us except a few weapons. As I walked down the path, I could see Chosposi's house at the end of the plateau in the distance. And my heart was torn.

The old men ride the mules. The young lead the way, bow in hand.

At dusk, we seek shelter and then perform the rites of our clan. The elders present offerings to the four directions, imploring protection from the deities. Then we eat what we've gathered or hunted during the day.

Guard shifts are organized during the night. Pumas and brigands may be on the prowl.

Whilethe watchers keep watch, the sleepers perform the most sacred of our people'srituals: dreaming.