Yesterday was a busy day

Yesterday was a busy day. First of all, Chosposi and I were married!

My parents, Chosposi's parents and elders from both clans performed a short ceremony at dawn, calling on all the beneficial kachinas to watch over us.

A rock topped by a bunch of trees served as the altar.

The men and women of our clan danced and sang to the rhythm of fertility, that seemingly never-ending step whose subtle changes only the elders have mastered.

"May you prosper in the world that awaits us, and follow the laws of Creation", said my father.

As he invoked the name of Sotuknang, Master of All Ceremonies, to call down his blessing on us, Sotuknang appeared at the top of the rock. He was clad in his feathered serpent warrior garb, his head capped by an eagle's beak-shaped helmet projecting a dazzling light.

Sotuknang said: "I see that the Chosen Ones have now gathered. It's good to celebrate this wedding too. May this young couple bear the first children of the New World!"

Chosposi and I were very intimidated by the honor of the Master of Ceremonies attending our wedding in person. My parents and hers were very proud.

Sotuknang added: "You will follow Sister Spider, who will explain what you need to do to prepare for your migration to the New World."

At these words, Sister Spider appeared, as if rising from the earth, at Sotuknang's side. She was wearing her war costume. Her black hair was pulled tightly over her head in a high bun.

Sister Spider has always been a great help to the human race, which she herself created long ago.

My parents only had time to complete the wedding ceremony, and everyone started off, following Sister Spider. That was a lot of people. More people than I'd ever seen in my life. Many more than at the big Rainy Day party.

I was overjoyed. People were looking at us, laughing and congratulating us. They called us "the bride and groom of the New World".

We walked back down the mountain for a long time. The sun was setting when we came to a forest of reeds so immense they seemed to touch the sky.

Sister Spider, who was in the lead, motioned for us to stop, then climbed up onto a rock. From the top of the rock, she announced that we would be traveling through the reeds, one or two per clan, depending on the size of the clan.

At these words, some of us exclaimed. Sister Spider calmed everyone's fears by invoking the protection of the Taiowa Creator.

Sister Spider added that at dawn we would start cutting the reeds.

The sun was about to set. Each clan then gathered to perform the evening rites.

At the end of the day, I still had enough strength left to build the hut where Chosposi and I would spend our first night together.

I used reed leaves and assembled the hut to the laughter of my uncles. They then gave me all sorts of advice for the upcoming wedding night, clapping me on the back and laughing loudly.

At last, Chosposi and I were alone again.

It was the mostbeautiful night of my life.