Today we completed the preparation of our reed

"The day of departure is approaching", said Sister Spider, pointing to the sky. Indeed, heavy black clouds were gathering.

Then she took some of us further away, where large kivas were home to ants. Our ant sisters did us a great favor by offering us mounds of eggs as food for our journey. For us, they deprive themselves of their generations. If we Chosen survive in a New World, we will always have to give thanks to our sister ants.

Meanwhile, others dug ovens in the ground. In them, they baked large clay jars.

At the end of the day, each clan had four jars, which were placed in the reed, deeply embedded in the pulp that forms the soil. We also added stones to this soil to weigh it down.

Then we went back and forth to the creek to fetch water to fill the jars.

Finally, Sister Spider gave us some flour and we baked some breads.

Tonight, a fire crackled in front of every reed. Kachina priests danced at length to call upon the protection of the gods.

Sister Spider joined the dancers. She twirled likelightning, her bun atop her head whipping rhythmically through the air.Sometimes leaping higher than our heads, she landed on her hands, triggeringlaughter and applause.