Farewell

Integration into the ProMental Institute was imminent.

There, neuronic communications would be monitored or even forbidden with certain destinations. So Tecumseh insisted on having his implant liberated. This would allow him to bypass some of these limitations. Tecumseh's parents hesitated for a long time, because if he were unmasked, he would be risking a great deal himself. But the young man's argument was simple and decisive: "If I'm discovered, it's true that I'll probably be condemned to death as a rebel, and you with me. But on the other hand, if we do nothing, it's absolutely certain that I'll be isolated and have no contact with you; and so they'll change me so much that it'll be like death, won't it? And with no possibility of coming back."

The release of the implant was carried out smoothly. In the basement of the pavilion, Paul placed his son in an armchair, with a helmet over his head. The flashing took just a few minutes, and everything was done by connection. Tecumseh rose to his feet with a seemingly orthodox, but totally liberated implant in his head. Only introspection could unmask him. He had lost the Refuge but gained complete control over all the functions of his Spirit Pearl.

Paul also taught him an ciphered language for transmitting the most complex information in innocuous words.

"They won't be able to stop us contacting you, but they'll certainly spy on your communications", said Paul. "Always be positive and even satisfied. Never mention any criticism of your fellow students or the inductors."

The day before the big day arrived. Tecumseh's school had bid him farewell. And he had organized an evening at home with a few friends. They listened, made music, played furiously until 4 a.m. and beyond. Tecumseh sensed that wherever he went, all this would now be forbidden to him. In the early hours, most of the guests lay dozing on sofas or on the living room floor.

Tecumseh had gone up to his room with his dearest friend, Zac's sister Reyana. "I may never be the same again. In fact, we'll maybe never see each other again", he had told her. The girl, very much in love, had quickly agreed.

They lay side by side, naked, on Tecumseh's bed. Tecumseh wasn't quite sure how to go about it: it was his first time in real life. For he had often visited forbidden sites where one could find heaps of fantasies. And, precocious as he was, seeking ever stronger excitements, he had often let himself be invaded by exciting visions of flesh. He had explored soft or rough textures, intense and carnal smells inspired to the point of dizziness. He had made himself come with ready-made orgasms. His parents had no idea. His only confidant was Zac, with whom he'd shared many illicit trips. But tonight he wanted to find out with his real body.

He took the plunge. Reyana, on the other hand, was more of a prude and had never had carnal contact, either virtual or real.

"I'd like to do something with you" said Tecumseh, running his finger over the teenager's soft brown skin. "You won't tell anyone?"

"What do you mean?", asked Reyana sulkily.

"I'd like to make a direct connection with you the moment you..."

The words wouldn't come out. It was easier to do as he pleased with virtual beings...

"A direct connection? But that's forbidden!", replied Reyana.

"But so what? Only once. Maybe the first and last. And... don't transfer then."

"But why would you want to do that?"

"I..., I'd like to be in thought as completely with you. Come over me a little."

Reyana straddled him and stretched out her legs. Tecumseh hugged the girl's warm, graceful body. Then they rolled and he found himself on top. He was dying to touch Reyana's abundant fleece and stroke her between the thighs, but he didn't dare. It was more difficult than virtual, he told himself.

He couldn't wait and gently penetrated her. But the orgasm came so quickly that he didn't have time to complete his plan.

"Excuse me", he said, sheepishly, as he withdrew. "I'll start again."

They let a few minutes pass.

"I'll miss you", said Tecumseh. "Will you ever contact me when I'm there?"

In reply, Reyana took his hand and pressed it to her lips. He could see that tears were welling up in her eyes. He hugged her tenderly, kissing her softly on the lips and eyes, as if to drink in her grief. His desire returned.

This time he held back, penetrating her even more slowly, pausing. He began to move in and out of her tender flesh, which was moistening with excitement.

"Can I make the connection now?", he asked with a gasp.

"Go ahead!"

And so they opened a channel of direct thought. Through this even more secret conduit they could find each other and feel their love for each other, their thoughts soft and tumultuous, shy and burning. Their minds were taut around their fused flesh.

He came in her and she in him. He thought in her and she felt dizzy. The thought tickled her. "Stop it!", she told him, caught in a fit of giggles. Then he reluctantly left her mind, gently withdrew his body from hers. She continued to laugh, and for a long moment they lay in each other's arms, saying nothing.

A sad, pale dawn was breaking.

"Maybe you'll forget me...", said Reyana, her eyes turned towards the window. "There must be girls out there prettier and smarter than me."

"Never!", swore Tecumseh, squeezing her tighter.

He burst into tears. His body was shaking with sobs. He moaned and howled through his teeth, biting his sheets. He grabbed a pillow, stuffed it with blows and threw it violently across the room.

"I don't want to go, I don't want to go", he hiccupped.

There was a knock at the bedroom door. It was his father.

"Is everything all right, Tec?", he asked through the door.

"Yes... yes, I'm fine", replied the teenager.

Tecumseh sniffed and blew his nose.

"In two years, we'll be adults", he said. "We'll go away together. And what's to stop me leaving before then, eh? We could hide out with the rebels."

Reyana hugged Tecumseh without saying a word.

Then they quickly washed up in the shower room, got dressed and headed back downstairs.

Most of Tecumseh's friends were asleep. On the changing walls, he displayed a sunrise over the ocean. Bright and soothing. He sat down on the sofa where Zac lay half-reclined.

"When you're a Chosen, will you still talk to us?", asked Zac with a yawn, sitting back down.

"No! I'll stop mingling with poor believers like you...", replied Tec, chuckling.

"They've got it good, the Chosen. They don't work."

"Do you know any Chosen Ones?"

"No... Who does? But there must be some advantages, otherwise why would people want to become one?"

"Do you think people want to? Look, they made me do it in the end."

"But these Chosen, if they want to recruit new ones, it's got to be in their interest, right?"

"Oh stop..., I'd rather not think about it. Let me enjoy these last few hours of freedom."

Tecumseh, sombre, watched the sun rise over the wall.

Seven o'clock struck. It was time to get ready. Helped by his parents, Tecumseh quickly packed his suitcase. At eight o'clock, it was time to leave. His melancholy had now evaporated, and Tecumseh excitedly embraced his friends and hugged Reyana, who had broken down in tears.

Lyda, standing back, held a handkerchief to her nose. Paul discreetly drank a bourbon to perk himself up.

Then everyone cleared out, the children goinghome and Tecumseh leaving for his destiny, led by his parents.