Gallo

Senator Gallo left the cubicle and headed for a small rest room. He slumped into a comfortable sofa.

Paul joined him a few moments later, carrying a tray with two glasses on it and a carafe full of juice in his hand. He asked with a smile:

"How was the Great Desert?"

"It was... grandiose!", replied the senator, his eyes still blurred as if he'd just emerged from a memorable trip.

Paul filled both glasses with juice. He handed one to the Senator and sat down opposite him.

The senator drank his glass in one gulp and caught his breath.

"This desert. It's so dry, even virtually!"

"Ah! I take it as a mark of the quality of our trip."

"Indeed it is. You guys are the best. I was able to witness a Hopi snake dance. My children and my wife are continuing the trip, but I'm taking a break to have a little chat with you."

He put down his glass and leaned toward Paul.

"I understand your son has joined Pro-Mental?"

"Yes, a few weeks ago."

"Do you have any contact with him?"

"Officially, we're allowed to communicate live once a week. Messaging is tolerated but supervised."

"Paul, I like you and your family. But I've got some bad news for you: Tecumseh is probably going to be sent off to war."

"To war?" exclaimed Paul. What do you mean?"

"The Curia has won the support of a majority of senators to land in Karuna. The official aim is to put an end to their support for the Jihadists in the Free World. The real reason is to secure control of their rare-earth mines. In short... the troops are just waiting for the Senate to vote in favor, which should happen in the next few hours. And the apprentices of the Pro-Mental Institutes are among those who can be mobilized on the front line."

Paul stared at him in anguish.

After a few seconds, the senator continued:

"We're expecting heavy losses. The Karunas are fanatics ready to die for God. Paul, you've got to find a way to get him out of the Institute before it's too late."

Paul thought for a moment, looking worried.

"I'd have to warn him. But how can I make him understand that he must escape as soon as possible? Our conversations are spied on. I'd agreed a few coded phrases with him, but certainly not an injunction to leave the Institute."

"Paul, we have to warn him. In a month at the most, the landing will take place. With highly trained units at first. Then the apprentices will form the second wave, which will penetrate deeply. And you know we can't negotiate with jihadists."

The senator was silent for a few moments, then continued:

"Can you give him a meeting date and address that only he will understand?"

"Yes, I can. I can send him a date and address in coded language."

"Very well, then. You have three weeks maximumto discuss it with him. I'll explain how to connect with him via a protectedchannel. It's a bit risky, but there's no other solution."