The priests also teach that two worlds preceded ours

Humans who had neglected the commands of Sotuknang and Sister Spider had multiplied.

Their deeds were evil. Everything they created was for the sole purpose of increasing or preserving their wealth and power. Even their dreams were focused on this goal.

They had forgotten that life is Taiowa's sole purpose. They had forgotten that their centers of vibration, and above all their kopavi, were given to them by the Creator to accomplish His plan. They used them only to accomplish their evil earthly purposes.

Their greed threatened the lives of humans, who wee at the mercy of their power to feed and clothe themselves.

So the Creator decided to do away with them.

But each time, Sotuknang had preserved a few Chosen, as we have been, in order to found a New World.

The Chosen of the First World survived the First Disaster thanks to the friendly people of the ants. The ants had welcomed them into their underground dwellings while Sotuknang was destroying the First World.

Hence the custom of retreating to a kiva to perform the principal rites and to convene the Council of Elders. When my hair appeared and I was initiated by the Kachina priests, I spent several nights alone in a kiva.

And everyone has a secret kiva within them, theentrance to which they must find and in which they can take refuge. This kivais guarded by Sister Spider.