Chapter 3

Cora

The day had finally arrived. The day before the wedding, the day I fly to San Francisco.

I have never been there and even though I won't see much, I'm usually thrilled to go to new places.

Maybe it is because I have actually never been anywhere.

Me and Leo had gone shopping last Sunday to look for my dress. He liked a bright red one, however I decided on a simple black silk dress. I didn't want to drag any attention to myself.

A mix of emotions washes over me as I am packing my small suitcase since I will only stay in the hotel for two nights. Leo had paid for that and the plane tickets, I'm guessing he did that because he felt bad.

On one hand, I'm incredibly excited for Anna and can't wait to witness this beautiful milestone in her life. The thought of seeing her walk down the aisle, radiant and filled with joy, living our dream, fills my heart with warmth.

But there's also a tinge of sadness lingering within me. I can't help but feel a sense of disappointment for my own safe love.

While I might also feel a pang of longing for my own partner to be by my side, I know that tomorrow is about my best friend, not me. And in that realization, any traces of self-pity fade away. I want to be the best friend I can be, the one who supports her unconditionally and makes her feel loved and cherished on this memorable day.

On the plane I keep reminding myself that being alone doesn't necessarily mean being lonely.

I will have the opportunity to meet new people and maybe reconnect with some old high school friends. It's a chance for me to be fully present and soak up the joy that surrounds this special day.

And I also remind myself that this is what I chose for myself. And Leo is not a bad person. His heart is in the right place. This is what I need. This is what I deserve. This is safe.

Then I fall into a deep sleep due to my tired body. I couldn't get comfortable all night last night and Leo's snoring in my ear didn't help me at all.

When I land, the lady sitting next to me has to wake me up, in order for her to get out of her seat.

I'm even more worn out than before. I turn 25 this winter, but sometimes I feel like my soul is stuck in a grandmother's body.

When I step out of the airport, all that I want is to get a cab, find my hotel and sink into a well-deserved rest.

As I am looking for my phone, a man's voice catches my attention from like a few feet away.

I glance in the direction of the sound, noticing a figure with his back turned towards me.

Dressed in a sleek suit, his hair immaculately styled, he appears to be engaged in a tense conversation on his phone.

Intrigued by the intensity in his voice, I find myself momentarily captivated by this stranger. I can't see his face, but his body language shows an air of confidence.

I catch fragments of his conversation, snippets of high-stakes negotiations or perhaps the resolution of a pressing business matter. Despite the stress evident in his demeanor, there is an undeniable cold calmness that emanates from him.

Suddenly I don't feel tired. Suddenly I forget what I was about to do.

It feels like only a second pass, when he is already stepped into a cab and smashes the door behind me.