Chapter 4

Adam

When I finally walk into my hotel room, I have a sudden wish to go and see a therapist.

A peculiar warmth has crept into my chest, unfamiliar and unsettling. I see images of her smile and these horrific pants with hearts on them.

The sight of her ethereal beauty made me almost feel a flicker of vulnerability that I wasn't sure I could ignore.

Of course, I can ignore it. We will never see each other again.

However, I can't help but wish I had asked her name.

Theo's words creep into my mind before I fall asleep. "You just haven't met the one who is the sunshine to your cold heart. Yet."

Could he be right?

We didn't even have a conversation, how could I possibly know?

I was rude, but she wasn't the most welcoming either. She made it very clear that she wishes to not speak to me. She knew what she was doing. Am I really that predictable?

I already can't wait to get back to my office and bury myself with work.

No woman has ever made me feel this unsure about literally everything in my life. And we didn't even have a conversation. I don't know her name.

I sleep surprisingly well and am very unhappy to be woken up by my ringing phone.

"Hey, man." I let out, while rubbing my eyes.

"If I could, I would unmake you my best man." I hear Theo's grumpy voice.

"Oh, shit, what time it is?" I sigh and get out of my bed. I never overthink this much, not even over work. I must have forgotten to set my alarm.

"How fast can you be here?"

I look down to myself.

"I need for my dick to cool down, then I will catch a coffee for both of us and will get a cab. I'd say 30 minutes?" I smile.

"Great!" Theo laughs and hangs up.

Why do we need to start getting ready at 7 in the morning anyway?

I step into my freezing shower.

I heard that's good for your health. Personally, I think that's bullshit, so I don't know why I have made a habit out of it.

I wear my linen pants and a black button up for now.

As I walk to the coffee shop across the street, I check at least 50 times that I took the rings with me.

I get two black coffees and call for a cab.

I am surprised by his apartment, it is almost as big as mine.

I can never remember what this guy really does to make money.

But I am even more surprised when the door gets opened by a girl and not Theo.

She is blonde, with a contagious smile.

"I really hope that you are the bride." I say jokingly, with my lips tight.

"Me too." She smiles at me and welcomes me inside.

"It's nice to finally meet you. For a while I already started to believe that Theo has made you up." I say to her while I follow her into the apartment.

"Adam!" Theo is running to me wearing only underwear and slippers.

"Your best look, brother!" I laugh and open my arms for a hug, still holding coffee.

"Are you seriously saying that you woke me up this early while even your girl has not started to get ready?" I hit his shoulder and give him his cup. Mine is empty already.

"I was about to leave. I am meeting up with Cora in the hair salon." Says the so called Anna.

"I am so nervous, man." Theo grunts and me and Anna start to laugh.

"Nice to meet you too, Adam." She smiles at me and then comes to kiss her soon to be husband.

I take a step back to give them their privacy. Or maybe because they seem so awfully in love that it makes me want to see a therapist again.

Once she is gone, I sit on the couch and put my legs on the table.

"Adam, you dick, stop it!"

"What the fuck are we going to do?" I laugh.

"Just be with me, man." He sighs and sits next to me, putting his legs next to mine on the table.

"I have missed you." I say, nodding my head.

"Do you want to go play mini golf?" Theo is slurping on his coffee.

"I thought you'll never ask!"