Chapter 14

Adam

She finally comes out of her room.

I don't know if I am relieved or terrified. I have been waiting all morning for her to come out. But now that she is standing in front of me, I am not sure of anything anymore.

Every time I see her, I feel mesmerized.

I'm fucked.

"Look Cora, I am genuinely so sorry that I basically took away your chance to decide what you want to do with Leo." I finally manage to say to her.

She is standing still like a statue in front of me.

This has never happened to me before. Of course, a lot of girls are attractive but not one of them has made me feel like exploding. Like my life would depend on either I touch her or not.

I ached for her in every part of my body.

She finally looks up to me. "It's okay to yell at me!" I think.

"I booked a flight back home tonight, I can't tell you how sorry I am for doing that to you, I just.." She stops me in the middle of my sentence with putting her fingers up to my lips. I want to kiss them.

"Adam, shut up!" she says and I can't read her expression.

I can't believe I fucked it up this fast with her.

I knew that it would have happened eventually between a screwed man like me and a brilliant woman like her, but even I didn't think that it would happen so soon.

While she is still not talking and looks confused, I think about how this is actually my perfect chance to get out of this situation as soon as possible. I might not have another one ever again.

This is my chance to leave everything behind me. All my weaknesses that I have showed in this past month and her.

My chance to leave her behind. To forget that she ever existed and made me feel this way like I have never felt before. This can't be me anyway, no matter how much I would want that.

Crushing like an 18 year old? Candles and flowers? I couldn't even understand the shit behind that even if I wanted to. I am not a romantic. I have never known how to be one.

I have no idea how to love.

"Do you want to go?" She whispers and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

Why isn't she screaming at me? Why isn't she so mad?

Then I could apologize one last time and I could just leave and never look back.

By letting go this soon, I could give her a chance to not be ruined by me.

Of course, I want to go. I have to go.

"No." My mouth speaks for myself.

Now her brows are furrowed and I can't look at her face.

I am such a fool.

"Then why are you leaving?"

She is so beautiful. Breathtaking.

"I want to give you a chance to still decide what you want to do, because, I promise, I would never tell a soul for what I did to you." I stutter most of my words. Why are my fucking palms sweating?

"Adam, did you make me do anything?"

I stay silent.

"I came to you." She whispers.

"I wouldn't just jump on you like that if I wouldn't be sure if I am single or not."

"What are you saying, Cora?" My stupid heart feels like it will jump out of my chest.

"Leo broke up with me last night. He is staying in Greece, because he found a girl there." She shrugs.

I am in disbelief.

"He did what?" I feel my blood starting to boil.

"That idiot cheated on you?" I almost yell out.

She smiles a little and shakes her head.

"Adam, I did let you kiss my neck while being on top of you before I knew." She whispers and I feel two heartbeats. One in my chest and the other on my dick.

"Leo and I, well we both knew that we are not getting back together." She whispers.

We both sit in silence for a minute or two.

She could be mine. Cora could be mine.

"So will you please stay?" I hear her asking. She finds my hand and squeezes it into hers.

I have to let her go. I have to let her go.

"Cora, I can't!" I let go of her hand.

"I am so sorry, but this can't happen ever again." Every word that I say, hurts me more and more.

"What the fuck do you mean, Adam? What was all that yesterday then? You said you want to do things right with me!" She looks like she could cry.

"I can't be together with you." I whisper and she jumps up from the couch.

"Of course, Adam. Of course, you can't." She says with her back turned against me.

I can't see her like this for any minute longer, so I get up too and zip my suitcase.

"Let me guess, you don't do girlfriends?" She finally looks at me like she is mad.

Mad is good. Mad is easier.

"You are a grown fucking man, Adam. It's just embarrassing."

I want to run to her. I want to hold her in my arms and feel her soft hair against my nose. I want to kiss her perfect mouth until I don't remember my own name.

"Go, Adam. Just fucking please go."