Chapter 8

Adam

For the first few days back home, I kept myself awake at nights, thinking about her.

I tried to figure out why she hasn't contacted me, since I made sure that she would get my number. Something that I had never done before. My ego felt a little bit hurt.

But most of all I was worried about her leaving with that piece of shit. The thought that he could have hurt her even more than he already did, made me physically sick. A little bit. Nothing too dramatic, of course.

I should have never let her to leave with him. I should have kept her close to me, in my arms. I should have hit that fool in his face.

I should have just protected her.

"Why would you protect her? She already has a man." Theo laughs from my phone.

I am out, in the park, throwing a stick to Vincent. It is my rare Saturday that I take off from work.

"Don't test me." I hiss.

"Hey, you started this yourself. Theo, man, please help me out, I am so hopeless." Theo whines and it makes me smile.

"Shut up or I am hanging up."

"How is work, Adam?" Theo brings out his serious voice, clearly having some kind of intention with his question.

"Dude, piss off! What do you want from me?" I start laughing, shaking my head.

Vincent looks tired, so I sit down on the bench and he lays down too.

"We are desperate here. We leave in a week and no one is free to babysit our cat. I really don't want to pay to some sketchy people to do it. " Theo sighs.

"I'm allergic to cats, Theo. You know that! Since we were kids!"

"Man, you sneeze three times more a day than usually."

That's almost true.

"You know I would help you, always have, always will, but next week is no good." In my head I go through all the paperwork I need to finish and a new witness list I need to find before trial starts.

"Aren't you your own boss or something?" Theo does sound desperate and I really wish I could help him.

"That is exactly why I can't give this case to anyone else. It is very important and I can't lose it."

"No, I understand. I feel bad asking you while knowing how busy you are and have no time for yourself, but, as I said, desperate, man." Theo states.

"Try Anna's mother once again. Her first response sounded almost promising to me." I suggest to him and we end our talk soon after that.

I go back home, feed Vincent, order a pizza for myself and drown myself in paperwork once again.

But before I can even start, my mind has already drifted away and my fingers are finding my phone and pressing on my gallery.

She took only one picture. Probably because I was gone for a very small amount of time for her to do it secretly on my phone.

She is smiling bright, her eyes are having little smile lines, her cheeks are pink and her lips glossed.

I stare at that picture at least five times a day.

I can't concentrate on things that are actually important.

I make the decision to delete it. So I delete it before I change my mind. And I instantly regret it.

I almost start to scare myself with the way I have been acting ever since meeting her.

It's like I am married to her in my head. Or have joined a church. I don't know which one is worse.

I can't work and I can't go out with girls. I can't do the only two things that I ever do.

I'm thankful I'll never see that woman again or else there would be no Adam Hayes no more.